While I believe that all of the Ceremonial Laws of the Old Testament, all of the types and shadows used in those days by the people of God, are fulfilled in Christ, and no longer required to be performed by his people, I also believe that the Moral Law, summarized in the Ten commandments is binding on the people of God to this day.
Galatians 3:24
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
We are not saved by it nor can we even fulfil it but Christ has done that perfect work for the salvation of his people. He fulfilled every jot and tittle of the law and God leaves his people with his moral laws which stand forever as our guide to faith and practice.
Some in our day believe that this has no use for the redeemed people of God, but how shall we know we are sinners and in need of a Saviour unless we know that God's holy Law is broken? Although the Law is written on our hearts we are slow and stubborn and God is merciful to set it before us from old.
Some say, that not all of this moral law is binding on the people of God in the Gospel age. For example, that we no longer should keep a day entirely set aside to the worship of God. (4th commandment) But the command that I am pondering is the second:
Exodus 20:4
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Many say that this command is no longer a requirement of believers in the one true God. As I come from a religious background which uses many icons and images, this is a commandment which I see being broken constantly. People will argue that they do not worship statues and holy pictures etc. but the truth is that they are used as aids to worship and are idolatrous, often they are not even depictions of any of the persons of the Godhead . Either way, they are not acceptable to God.
God wants, yea commands, the broken spirit and contrite heart and is jealous for his worship. His Word and Spirit create in us the worshipful attitude. We are to worship in Spirit and in truth and not by the imaginations of men.
Westminster Shorter Catechism
Q. 50. What is required in the second commandment?
A. The second commandment requires the receiving, observing, and keeping pure and entire, all such religious worship and ordinances as God hath appointed in his word.
Q. 51. What is forbidden in the second commandment?
A. The second commandment forbids the worshiping of God by images, or any other way not appointed in his word.
Q. 52. What are the reasons annexed to the second commandment?
A. The reasons annexed to the second commandment are, God's sovereignty over us, his propriety in us, and the zeal he hath to his own worship.
Here's something to think about.
What of pictures depicting our Lord, Jesus Christ?


While I've often wondered how Catholics (to whom I assume you are referring) can reconcile the scriptures with praying to statues of the saints, I have never thought about the various paintings and sculptures I've seen depicting Jesus himself. My own Grandma has a huge 'portrait' of Jesus centered on her dining room wall.
ReplyDeleteI think, perhaps, the difference is that she doesn't kneel down and pray to the painting or otherwise give it any supernatural/spiritual powers. She keeps it on her wall simply because she likes it. It doesn't play any part in her worship of God.
Ruby, I have heard of the term Westminster Shorter Catechism, but what is it? Educate me please lol.
ReplyDeleteExcellent post. People forget that moral law, the Ten Commandments, and say it's all under grace. Yes we are saved by grace, through faith and not of works (Eph. 2), but how would we know what is expected of us by God were it not for those commandments and the rest of Scripture.
ReplyDeleteQuakers don't even have an alter or a cross because of the 2nd commandment. While I understand Catholics justify their icons by saying they are *aides* it still doesn't sit well with me. I also understand it was a way of teaching the basics of the gospel when most people were illiterate but even so surely the answer was to make people literate, not make a millstone for their necks. Personally I have qualms about movies & t.v ~ especially when I see teens *idolize* their favourite actor or singer. Hm. Seem to be soapboxing on your blog again. I will stop now. ☺
ReplyDeleteUm, I need to add I really like artworks that depict Jesus ~ Likes Michaelangelo's Pietas. Whether it's right or not is another matter but there is a subtle difference ~ in my mind at least. lol
ReplyDeleteVery good thoughts Ruby. Not only by dignity of our place in creation, but because our Saviour came and took on our flesh, the best 'image of God' we have is our fellow man: and we worship Him in spirit and in truth by keeping His law of love.
ReplyDeleteOur biggest battle with the 2nd is, like Ganeida, the study of classical art. We try not to purchase books with depictions of Christ, but some Mediaeval art is very beautiful...
ReplyDeleteWe don't do crosses etc, but that probably doesn't surprise you.
What's your feeling about fine art?
Thanks everyone!
ReplyDeleteArt is tricky. For me it still falls into that category of images of Christ (therefore forbidden) but I do see that some treat it as purely art. Did those artists paint/ sculpt purely to be gazed at I wonder? or with the intent to stir up some form of emotion and aid to worship?
I think Heidi expressed it well, and also remember that these depictions are of the Lord of Glory, the Creator of Heaven and earth, in His state of humiliation:-)
I also find it strange that many artists depict Jesus as a white, blue eyed man or at least outstandingly beautiful to look at, rather than an ordinary Jew! Scripture says that:
"he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him." Isaiah 53:2
Again,our worship should be from the heart. I know after years of "induced emotion" it has not always been easy for me to worship in a more plain and unaided way. But joy unspeakable to focus soley on the Lord and His Word in His worship.
Ruby:Probably off track a bit but many artists painted for money ~ pure & simple. They did what they were commissioned to do & paid for doing. Some, like Michaelangelo, have expressly said, they painted [or sculpted as the case may be] for the glory of God. As in so much else in the Christian walk it comes down to a matter of the heart. Is the heart right with God? Are the motives pure? What is the motive? I'm very visual & respond very strongly to visual stimulus so I find something like Mary craddling the crucified Christ like He was still her little boy strangely moving ~ but it has NOTHING to do with worship. We are to worship in spirit & in truth ~ & for me that reaches it's highest when it is plainest, simplist & unencumbered by man made ritual. Just thinking out loud here. ☺
ReplyDeleteI hear you on this Ganeida. This is exactly how I used to feel with things like the Stations of the Cross. For me, no longer an acceptable practice.
ReplyDeleteOur motives are important, and thankfully, God looks on our hearts and knows them, but we are still responsible to do as he commands...no?
Definitely. Which then opens the door to where do you draw the line & on what grounds do you justify your choices? And can you impose your views on someone else's conscience? You may find these things more straightforward than I do. I can tie myself up in knots [& now you know why the title of my blog! ☺] but I personally don't find life very straightforward. Usually I can only manage to juggle one thing at a time. At the moment it is plain dress. I feel very definitely the Lord has given me the choice of salwar kameeze instead of dresses as being acceptable to him ~ but I live here & obtaining plain enough ones is hard so I am looking for a patten ~ easier said than done. In obedience I must act but, man oh man, you'd think He'd make it simplier, wouldn't you? Seeing as it's His idea & all! ☺
ReplyDeleteLook at it this way, Ganeida, if it were all simple and straightforward, we would have nothing to blog about!
ReplyDeleteCan I add something here? I do agree with the things mentioned here... I am not comfortable with images and statutes (well, I like some forms of art, I do confess and have no conviction about not posting such things on my blog... but I don't worship with it or from it.) If I need to reconsider the things I find beautiful and stirring to my spirit and soul, I will certainly take it to Him in prayer, because I wouldn't want to wander from His Truth. The one I think of, is the Lord drapped over the earth, in interession, which I posted about a month or so ago. I love this picture but perhaps I am wrong to? I will go to my Father and ask Him about it, to show me if it is wrong.) Now, back to my point lol...
ReplyDeleteI find that sometimes the scripture goes a little deepr for me, than just the literal understanding. It is like an onion, layer upon layer. There are depths to His Word I believe, and that is why we need the Holy Spirit when we meditate upon it.
So, here is something I think about when I read posts like these, or hear thoughts on this subject.
We are commanded not to make any graven images right? I believe we do that more than simply owning or fashion a picture, or statue. I believe we form graven images of Christ (and God) when we fashion Him according to our mind, instead of His. These are false perceptions, false understandings, false interpretations. We form and fashion a Christ that suits us, as we would like to Him to be, perceive Him etc, boxing Him into our limited understanding or simply forming a Jesus we are comfortable with. We DEFINE AND FORM GRAVEN IMAGES of Him in our mind. Then we proceed to worship this 'Jesus' we make in our mindsets, rather than worshipping Him in Spirit and Truth. Traditions of man and religiousity are two culprits here.
Just my thoughts here, but I believe it is true (or I wouldn't believe it! LOL).
Catholics are not the only ones who worship graven images... I think we are all guilty in part, on this one! Thankfully His Holy Spirit leads us into all Truth.... one step at a time...
I possibly sound like a right-royal nut-case now, but I take the risk with you my darlings lol ;)
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteThat does not sound like a right-royal nut case speaking at all, but I think is exactly right and how I also believe. The RC thing is my experience in growing up, but any false image, as you say, in our mind or something tangible is a type of idolatry. I totally agree, we are to meditate upon the wonderful attributes of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) This is what the worshiping in spirit and truth involved. So often the imaginations of men, our fanciful imaginations, present an airy fairy god to do our bidding. As mentioned, we are talking about the Creator, the King of Glory.
Excellent comment. Thanks.
P.S. I apologise if I seemed as though I was applying this only to RC practice. As per the catechism I posted, this commandment embrasses "images, and other other way not appointed in his Word."
Phew LOL! Ruby, I actually did not think you aimed this at the RC or any particular denomination... I believed it was a general reference to all of our choices/actions etc. It is amazing though, how the poor ol' RC are always the first 'culprits' we think of! When, in fact, we should examine the planks in our own eyes. When I read your post, I was the first one I thought about, in this instance...
ReplyDeleteI hope my 'feet' depictions are not sinful?? Does this catechism include His feet? I'm smiling as I write this, but I do wonder??! I need to pray about it.
Years ago when I was a new Christian, I saw Christian calendars in people's homes, with pictures of Jesus (smiling face, serious face etc)... I felt a bit yuck about that because I took His Word so seriously. I still don't go for those sort of things but, but, but....
I am going to chime in here really late. As an artist with artists in my family, I have wrestled with this before. I have often said just because one has been given the talent to do a thing does not mean it should be done.
ReplyDeleteHowever, my aunt was very ill one day and she had spent some time in prayer that morning and began feeling re markedly better. She then felt the urge to sculpt and had some clay prepared but had no particular picture in her mind and as she worked with the clay, she saw a face appear her in the clay. In less than two hours, she had sculpted the head Jesus in his agony. My uncle came home and asked if that is how she saw Jesus and she said no but that was how it came out of the clay. He finished it with old rusted barbed wire for His crown of thorns. Having done some sculpting, but not as talented as my aunt in that, it amazes me she did a head in so little time, it usually takes her weeks.
I think that when you look at the culture at the time and how readily people would pray to images or that only royalty had the funds to make images of themselves and then would declare themselves gods to be worshiped or their images to be worshiped, the understanding of the command to make no graven images is far more significant...and I am not meaning to belittle a commandment from the Lord, but I can understand why He did not want His people confused with either of these categories.
However, now we have people who will use images meant to stand for our Lord in ways that are truly debasing and we can see that all over the Internet. That would be the other side of the coin as to why it should not be done.
Lastly, my thoughts are I think that God Himself knew what He meant and how He meant it when it came to His own commandments. So, if someone like my aunt, who not only is very gifted and devout, but also one who really listens to the Lord, creates artwork that was meant to capture her love for Him and the Lord so blessed it that He gave her the ability to do it in an impossible time frame, how can I reconcile that to the commandment? And, I do not see her depiction in my mind as I pray.
Under God's commandment Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole so that if one of the serpents (He had sent to punish them, I might add) had bitten any person the person would be healed at looking upon it. Then there is the ark of the covenant with cherubim even though the second commandment says to make not to make images anything of heaven. I think the meaning has been expanded upon in that we were just not to make images for worshiping and apparently looking at an image is not worshiping it and making an image is not the same as making an idol, an image to be worshiped.
As to whether some people worship images in some Christian sects, or merely use them as stations for prayer as other sects might use the alter is all in the heart of the person. I cannot judge what they are really doing by their outward appearances.
On another note, Jews and many Christians will write "G-d" because they do not want use the name of God in vain. However, "God" to me is not His name but more of His title and, as I see it, if you write "G-d" in reference to God, that is really no different than just writing "God" because it becomes the reference in our language with the use.
Good and worthy points Seeking! I see the difference clearly in your well-articulated comment... thank you!
ReplyDeleteSeeking, I used to have those questions re: the brass serpent and the cherubim -- but it was explained that these weren't images of God Himself (it's interesting that the cherubim visually covered the Mercy Seat, which was in a special way for the presence of God). This ties in with the problem with the golden calf -- it was not that the Israelites made an image, as I understand it (didn't Solomon's temple have golden bulls [?] bearing the laver?), but that they called it an image of God and (naturally) bowed down to it. Just a thought on that particular point :-)
ReplyDeleteHeidi, I understand your point. To add to my point, I think that most people in this day would not mistake an actor in a role as the real Jesus. Likewise, I doubt if any Christian artists would claim that they have captured the likeness of God or even Jesus, and certainly not that their artwork, in any form, should be worshiped.
ReplyDeleteAgain, I am not attempting to water down the Law itself, but suggesting that the intention of the Law was that artwork was not to take place of God in our worship. Jesus said He was to fulfill the Law, not abolish it, and His message repeatedly was a matter of the heart--I would say He taught from the Spirit of the Law.
Because He was resurrected on Sunday, the early Christians began worshiping on that day rather than the Sabbath, as commanded by the Law, but even in this was consistency with the intention of the Law because man was not made for the Sabbath but the Sabbath was made for man.
Thanks again for all the comments, ladies! As with many of our deeply held beliefs, opinions vary.
ReplyDeleteWhile we are to keep "the spirit of the Law" as our Saviour taught, love God and love our neighbour, He also fulfilled and established it. We have the letter of the Law to show us what is right and wrong.
The principle of Sola Scriptura, is one that is very helpful to me in matters which seem open to all types of interpretations. Does it gel with other parts of scripture? Is this what God intended? I am not saying that is easy or easily discerned but a good starting place and much more reliable than my own imagination.
I would like to sound more accomadating and less legalistic. I don't think I am legalistic nor judgemental, I struggle far too much with my own sinfulness in this and other areas, but where scripture is clear, then I cannot see the need to tangle it up and try to make it fit. For myself at least, I am certainly not binding any one reading here to my views.
When I posed the question about pictures of the Lord, I hoped to hear what others thought and I have done. Thank you. We are all tender in conscience on different things. Not that any are less important but I do think that our backgrounds and experiences shape our thoughts a great deal and I am conscious that I need to have the Lord and His Word and Spirit to shape my understanding instead.
May we all learn and seek to love and serve our great God more purely as he refines us in our k pilgrimage here on earth.
Ruby, you have been very gracious with this subject and I do not wish to cause problems, so I will ask this as a rhetorical question only. You may delete it should you find it irrelevant or offensive without worry about my feelings.
ReplyDeleteIf we are to take the Ten Commandments to the most literal and simplest form, then are we not to also worship on the Sabbath, from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, because that was what God would have meant as the Sabbath when He commanded we keep it holy?
Ruby, what a wise and tactful mentor you are to me. I have enjoyed the comments on your post very much - as well as your original words. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteSeeking:
ReplyDeleteThere are many who do take that literal position. As I stated in the original post, the fourth commandment is one which is greatly neglected in our day as well. Of this, I am guilty also. However, we do keep a Sabbath, the Lord's Day which has New Testament scriptures to back up the change from Creation Rest to Ressurection Day, signifying our eternal rest. We are still to labour six days in worldly things (though all to God's glory) and give one whole day to him. Again, many hold differing views and some think both these commands are now done away with.
All these discussions show us that no one has all the answers. One thing I know, the Holy Spirit is not wrong! It is our sinful and blinded hearts which confuse the Word of God. These things are spiritually discerned and I, for one, have a lot to learn!