Friday, December 3, 2010

H ~ H ~ H

Don't judge a book by its cover" ~ so the old adage goes.  I guess I did just that and I think I have been pleasantly surprised by this recently released novel by Christine Bongers, Henry Hoey Hobson.  The cover suggests a creepy, witchy type book and this is what one is meant to think.  All through the theme is that things are not always as they first appear and that one should not jump to a conclusion too quickly.

This is the second novel by Ms Bongers, I wrote a little about the first DUST here.  Henry Hoey Hobson is a very different type of story. As I said, the cover, and my misgivings about the previous book, led me to be not overly enthusiastic about reading this one. However, as you gathered from that last post, the author is known to me and her sister-in-law, who is an old friend of mine,  told me recently that I should read it. She promised it was not at all like the "based on her own life" book.  Then my sister passed on this copy and there you have it.


Henry has been shunted around all his short life and when he finds himself at yet another new school he feels the odd man out, being the only Year 7 boy.  Much of the "bullying" is in Henry's head as he begins his ordeal.  He also sees and sums up his arty/ alternative new neighbours without really knowing the facts. Vee is in fact not a vampire but suffers from Xeroderma pigmentosum and although they live unusual lives, they each have a story.  The entire book is about being different and being accepted.




WHAT I LIKED ( and didn't) ABOUT HHH...

There are suggestions of bullying and weirdness and witchcraft but they mostly turn out to be in Henry's imagination. However, his fears and past experiences are very real and I think many would identify with them.  There is resolution with  the protagonists as well, which is good. Most of the adult characters are not your normal Mum and Dad stereotypes, and yet the adults come through. They have worked through their hangups, problems, disabilities and show some wisdom, leadership and compassion. Lydia, Henry's mother is the exception but she comes through in the end. 
I do not particularly enjoy modern fiction and slang writing but on the whole it is not too heavy here. I did not like the use of the expression OMG, though I realise how frequently that is used in today's society. I think the use of the vampire and a few other creepy things is a concession to what seems very attractive in literature for young people these days so although I am not into it, it did make for a good yarn. Not giving it a thumbs up or down,  but the end result was I really liked Henry and the crew by the end of the book and thought Christine Bongers has done an okay job of this one. Because I know that like me, most home schoolers tend to like more wholesome books I would suggest pre reading before letting it loose on the children!

The book is set in Brisbane so many of the places and land marks are familiar. It is suited to readers around the ages of twelve to fifteen.



1 comment:

  1. Are you still on your trip? I guess you may have set this to post today. Love those book reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.