I don't, but even so my heart was stirred to listen to this recording!
I don't even know what Psalms they are singing and yet to hear the voices
of the people of God
raised in joyous praise in their own language is so amazing!
It appears that the Precentor is lining.
This was the practice in the churches before many in congregations could read.
The Precentor leads the tune and sings the line
and the people repeat it.
Take a moment to listen
Let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation!
(Sorry about the largeness of the video)
My Gaelic is very basic & this is a very old form of singing. It is how the old Gaels trained their bards ~ often in darkend rooms. lol You didn't need to know that I know but sometimes it's fun to share the odd things I know. ☺ I love it!
ReplyDeleteIt is a lovely language. Sadly my DH who is Welsh was never taught his own language at school as it wasn't in vogue when he was a boy as it is now. I like to listen to welsh singing, it is so calming.
ReplyDeleteLovely video Ruby... I don't know the least bit of Gaelic lol. I loved the scenery also.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, just beautiful.
ReplyDeleteMy youngest little one would love to have this "lining" happen in church. She has begun to sing the Psalms with us in church, but can't read. She makes up her own words (grimace!) or sings the line everyone has just sung, during the next line (and yes, does finish a line after the rest of us - double grimace!!)
ReplyDeleteBB x
Been there, BB. Hope you have a small, friendly and forebearing congregation who think it is sweet!
ReplyDeleteHow neat, Ruby! Can you believe one of my sons, when asked what language he'd like to learn, asked if he could study Gaelic? He'll enjoy this.
ReplyDeleteRuby,
ReplyDeleteI am just getting around to hearing this video.
Although I didn't understand anything that was sung, I thought the music and harmony were beautiful as well as breath-taking. I also liked how the video incorporated nature scenery from their native land.
I think the Gaelic language would be a difficult one to learn.
Thank you for sharing this.
Blessings,
-Lady Rose