Matthew Henry
"Worldly cares are a great hindrance to our profiting by the word of God., and our proficiency in religion. They eat up that vigour of soul which should be spent in divine things, divert us from duty, distract us in duty and do us most mischief of all afterwards, quenching the sparks of good affection and bursting the cords of good resolution; those who are careful and cumbered about many things commonly neglect the one thing needful.
Psalm 119
15 I will thy holy precepts make
my meditation;
And carefully I'll have respect
unto thy ways each one.
16 Upon thy statutes my delight
shall constantly be set:
And, by thy grace, I never will
thy holy word forget.
(Scottish Metrical Version)
my meditation;
And carefully I'll have respect
unto thy ways each one.
16 Upon thy statutes my delight
shall constantly be set:
And, by thy grace, I never will
thy holy word forget.
(Scottish Metrical Version)

Worldly cares. The great hook into our hearts... saps our devotion to the Lord. I also believe that it can be anything, that we do, that we put too much attention into and reliance upon for our satisfaction. They may not be 'worldly', or even bad, but these 'things' have a hold of us, when they shouldn't. He is jealous for 'all' of our being.
ReplyDeleteI am reminded of my blog post a few weeks ago when my internet was playing up, and I reacted badly. You know, that post about 'other gods'? Eeek! He is obviously touching on this issue again lol. Praise the Lord ~ we must need it.
Have a wonderful Monday!
Hi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteIn response to Amanda's comment, I too, am guilty of serving other 'gods'. :-/
Sometimes we can incorporate prayer into what we are doing, and that then conforms it into being needful. :)
Have a wonderful week,
Love and blessings, Jillian ♥
I love the way the Holy Spirit shows us things and they are confirmed to us by others. Yesterday, our pastor taught from Matt 4 (the soils etc) on hearing the Word of God. One of the things he mentioned tying in with the drawing away was the way we let legitimate/ good things become all consuming and thus they actually become a bad thing. I was thinking myself about the internet which can be so useful and positive but can be a snare for our time, energy and devotion.
ReplyDeleteI find myself in the midst of 'worldly cares' at the moment. I'll take away these thoughts tonight and meditate on them throughout the evening - thankyou.
ReplyDeleteWe are so easily distracted but worldly activities and before we know it we haven't thought of the Word of God for sometime. I read each night before I go to bed (I like to wrap the end of my day in Gods Word), however I might find I am so wrapped up in a movie or novel that I forget to stop and put it all aside - but I try very hard to say - no, time to finish and read and pray.
ReplyDeleteMay you have a blessed week
Jo
Wow Ruby, your pastor is hearing from the Spirit of God! I love when His confirmation about an issue comes from a few different directions at once.
ReplyDeleteI have heard it said that an idol (any worldly or even 'Christian' care/thing) is that which we put above God. ie computer time for example... if He is calling me to come pray and read the Word, and spend time with Him, and I push aside that still small voice, and head for the computer instead, I have made it an idol.
I believe it is also the thing that we derive comfort from, instead of turning to Him.
He wants our whole heart, not just the crumbs of it. Are we too passionate about other things, not necessarily bad things? That is the question He is asking me to look at concerning my own life. I can get easily excited over other things, and focus too much on them. Aaahhh, self-examination is easy, but the relevant changes not as forthcoming.
But laying them all aside is just so hard...
ReplyDelete"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"!
ReplyDelete{{know what you mran, Jeanne}}
Very good post. I too have been using Matthew Henry's book to help my understanding. Last night we were reading about worshipping in 'spirit and truth' as the Lord wants us to worship and looking up the scriptures in the commentary were very helpful. It's an amazing book!
ReplyDelete