Return to School Work
We began the second term of school on Tuesday and now, Friday afternoon, I can say the week went fairly well. My younger son particularly is really showing improvement in the reading department and this is carrying over into all his work. This is a long awaited break through. I cannot put it down to one particular thing but certainly the one on one sessions with Rae on top of the many years of line upon line learning are paying off. I hope and pray this is the beginning of a whole new learning experience for him.
S1 is going slowly and steadily. Because the progress is much less noticeable he has had some attitude problems to deal with as well. He sees his younger brother taking off and this is a new challenge on top of the actual reading difficulties.
It is one of the greatest challenges to us as parents homeschooling our children, to deal with and fine tune the attitudes behind the students behaviours. He is such a great kid! He is good at a lot of things. He is not a good reader and of course that is what he wants most at present.
Remember he wanted to read Indiana Jones a while back. I am afraid it was really just too much for him. We handled it well though. My sister who comes to read to them regularly has been reading through the exciting and rather flowery pages of Indiana's adventures and S1 has settled for a book a little closer to his abilities. Yes, he was disappointed but he didn't crumble the way I thought he might. He is learning to deal with disappointment.... He is still needing to learn to be happy for the achievements of others. That is a big hurdle for him with his brother.
Thankfully both boys love their sport and I am pleased to say are good sports toward each other and their team mates there. One characteristic at time...
Holiday Happenings
I have really enjoyed the opportunities I've had in that week or two to meet with family and friends. We've been making special time to meet with our friends who leave shortly for new pastures . This has been a great memory making time for the boys. I don;t think they really know what it will be like when their friends leave as they have not had that experience before, but they are enjoying the more regular play times. Tonight they are staying over at their house for the first time ever so they are very excited about that! A good night's sleep and some unusual quite for us here, no doubt two tired and hyped up boys tomorrow when they arrive home.
I was pleased to have a couple of coffee dates with my friends too as our busy lives don't leave a lot of time for girly social chats.
Of course, every opportunity I get we spend time with our older girls and the little grandchildren. Not a week goes by at their ages when there is not some new, clever trick to delight us with. The four month old is rolling, trying to crawl and sit and smiling and laughing cheekily. He is a very healthy, happy little man!
Update from India
This is the latest pic from my nephew in India. The beautiful Taj Mahal. He is experiencing both the extreme poverty, volunteering in a Sisters of Charity house, and the phenomenal wealth enjoyed by the elite few.
I have re posted this last pic from a few weeks ago. I cannot get over the extremes of living standards that are in one country, one city, almost one street, in India. There false religions and caste system leave many people homeless, starving and without hope.
Once again, I am thankful for our rich and free country. Lord have mercy on the people of India and bring many souls to know your mercy and grace.
*I am loving the new blogger in draft! Especially positioning photos and pics and them publishing exactly the way I drafted them! WooHoo...this was always a problem for me before. I am having trouble working out how to get photos from My Pictures onto the new post though. Any Blogger users able to help me there?
Also, are any of you Blogger users able to tell me how to back up my blog in case of failure at any stage?
Have a good weekend one and all!





Hi Ruby!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this post and catching up on all your news. Phew! Sounds like you've been busy :)
That's great that your boys are coming along in their reading - and that they're motivated! I hope your eldest manages OK with his younger brothers success. This can be tricky, hey! Our 3rd child has always been more athletic than her older 2 siblings...I guess that's the way of it when you're a kid!
Glad that you've found time for catching up with some girlfriends too - it's amazing how we can crave some girl talk sometimes!
Can't help you with the tech. things though - not my department, that's for sure!!
Have a great weekend.
xx
A lovely read, thanks for the update Ruby. I was a bit envious to read about your coffee dates with friends. That's something I haven't been able to do for a few months with HB being so busy at work. Hurray for your younger son's progress in reading. Hope the eldest can see some progress too.
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteIsn't it wonderful to find that all of the hard work is starting to bear fruit?
This page tells you how to backup your blog, seeing that you are using the new one. :D
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/02/how-to-backup-blogger-blog.html
HTH,
Have a wonderful weekend,
Love and blessings, Jillian ♥
Great, thanks, Jillian! Why did I not think to just Google for instructions? Just not on the ball like that, I guess :-(
ReplyDeleteNow that I have done that what does one do in the event I did loose the blog, to retrieve it?
Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, go search it out girl!
Good news! I figured out the photo downloading as well! Whoa...I'm a genius!
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby! Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's fun to come by here and see all that you're up to. Your blog looks great. I love how you're able to position the pictures. That's something I have had a hard time with on my blog. Sometimes the text wraps around the next photo in the final "published" version, even when I hadn't intended it to :o Yours looks great. And big congratulations for the reading breakthrough for your son. That is such a wonderful moment, when they finally seem to "get it" and reading can become more of a joy than a chore. Keep up to hard and good work! :)
ReplyDeleteI glad things are going well with your schooling. We also have some reading problems with one of our children (actually, our oldest had problems too, but overcame them). She got a little discouraged yesterday because she couldn't read something she wanted too. I don't think ours has the same level of difficulty as your son, but the discouragement is difficult for them, and for us as well.
ReplyDeletePlease ignore the gramatical error in the first line of my comment. My brain gets ahead of my fingers sometimes.
ReplyDeleteHey, Ruby, I had a long-distance coffee chat with you this morning 8:30 my time while it was 10:30 pm for you. I enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteI look to you for blogging standard. You keep improving. Hope your eyes will improve. Thanks to Jillian for the tip also.
Carol
I find the first week back on school after having time off is my biggest challenge. I'm so happy yours went smoothly. I clicked on your picture of books to enlarge it because it looks just like a set I have and sure enough it was. Some awesome reading material. I hope things keep going well for you. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteWhat an encouraging first week for you and your sons Ruby - a great start! I hope my 'first' week next week is just like that!
ReplyDeleteRuby,
ReplyDeleteWhat a lot of good news! Especially for your younger son, whose reading is taking off - praying the older one will follow suit. It's such a relief to go from learning-to-read, to reading-to-learn. He'll get there :o)
And the sticky notes... I googled "make sticky notes" and found this site, though there may be others.
Perfect for just a little thought.
I haven't been "out and about" and reading my favorite blogs, with all the drama here this week, so it's good to catch up on you :D
Julie