Thursday, March 18, 2010

How Aussie are You?

Many moons ago, November last year actually, Mum-me at Our Aussie Half Dozen, posted this Australiana Meme. I copied it then but have taken a long time to fill it out. It has a lot of questions but here at last are my responses. Mum-me is also the clever creator of this Aussie collage!



How Aussie are YOU?
(compiled by Dee from Downunder)

1. Been dive bombed by a magpie Yes, on many occasions!

2. Have seen a crocodile. Yes, but I never smiled so we didn't get friendly.

3. Have seen a snake in the wild. Too many, Snakes are my phobia. I freeze when I see one, even on TV.

4. Been bitten by a snake or other Aussie wildlife, Not by a snake. (Thank God, as I said, seeing one causes paralysis) I have been bitten by numerous mozzies, sandflies, horse flies, ants and other pests, though.

5. Patted a koala - YEP. (I've seen them in the wild too) Koalas are not always as cute and cuddly as they are famed to be. They can be vicious. We are fortunate to be able to view them at the local zoo but not touch.

6. Seen a kangaroo in the wild. Millions! In western Queensland I have seen whole paddocks moving ~ bounding! Around here they are less prolific.

7. Climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge. No. and as magnificent as she is I have no desire to.

8. Climbed the Story Bridge in Brisbane. No. Same as above. However, I have visited our state capital.

9. Visited the Sydney Opera House. No. Uncultured country bumpkin.

10. Swum at the beach . Lots and lots of times. Love the beach but not a real sea water girl.

11. Had fish and chips on the beach Absolutely. One of life's special pleasures.

12. Been stung by a jellyfish. No. Have seen plenty and been with people who have been stung but thankfully not stung myself.

13. Had sunburn that peeled Yes, as a silly teenager this happened fairly regularly. We sat out in the sun to get a tan. Yikes. Blessed with fairly good skin but cover up now days.

14. Camped under the stars Yes, again as a silly teen and early twenties. Followed the polocrosse circuit and camped under the stars everywhere from St George to Clermont. Sometimes in freezing conditions. Madness. Do not do camping these days.

15. Visited Uluru . No but I'd love to.

16. Driven the Great Ocean Road in Victoria . Same as above.

17. Seen the penguins on Phillip Island Victoria. Agaim no but would love to.

18. Had an outdoor BBQ with Friends . Often, love a barbie! along with a zillion mozzies!

19. Played backyard/beach Cricket . Yes, both but backyard cricket a lot both as a child and with my own children. Never managed a hundred in the back yard at Mum's and alas, can only peg not bowl.

20. Watched a live cricket match. Not any big ones just the local eleven when one of the boys played. Watched a local side play some golden oldies last year with the boys.

21. Betted on the Melbourne Cup. Once or twice in my pre christian days . Again, young and silly. Loved a picnic race meeting which are popular up here in bush towns. Still love horses and think they are meant to run, but not into the whole social event any more.

22. Attended the Melbourne Cup Live from Flemington. no,


23. Attended a live Aussie Rules or rugby football game. Yes, again only when relatives were playing. Much better watching on TV. Not really into football but my family are all mad on Rugby league.


24. Ridden a Melbourne Tram. No. Haven't ever been to Melbourne.


25. Snow Skied in the “high country” of NSW/Vic . No/ Love to go there, maybe I would leave the skiing to the younger/ fitter/ more co ordinated people.

26. Visited the Great Barrier Reef. Yes, the bottom end of it is right at our back door. I have only been to Keppel Island though. Would love to visit others and Cairns, where my husband grew up.

27. Been to Kakadu . Sigh, also on my wish list.

28. Crossed the Nullabour by road . No, haven;t done it any other way either.

29. Gone down the Murray River on a paddle steamer . Another big sigh. But I have seen "All the Rivers Run"

30. Survived a cyclone Yes, close but never right in the eye of it.

31. Survived a bushfire NO, the bushfires last year came close to town but not near to us.

32. Experienced a big flood. Yes, several, but again we are far enough from the river not to be inundated.

33. Know who the Wiggles are. Of course!!!!! It's a long time since I owned a skivvy.

34. Know who Humphrey the Bear is. Yep

35. Watched Play School as a kid or mum of a kid . Remember my younger brothers watching it and sometimes watched with my own kids

36. Watched Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Oh yes, happy childhood memories with Sonny and Skip.

37. Own an Australia Flag .Yes, one in the school room and a couple of little ones around. No pole but would like that one day.

38. Know the words to Advance Australia Fair. Yes, at least all the first verse.

39. Eat Vegemite . Yes , I was and am a happy little Vegemite kid.

40. Drink Milo . Loved it as a child. Only very occasionally now. Too sugary!

41. Know what lamingtons are . Absolutely. Mum used to make them especially for Dad's birthday each year. My hubby loves them too but I don't do sponges.

42. Know what Pavlova is . Yes, not something I make though.

43. Know what Tim Tams are. Yes again but alas, most of these aussie treats I cannot eat.

44. Eaten a meat pie. Nothing like a pie with peas.

45. Gave or received a “dead arm” . Never. But my brothers and kids at school had a lot of tortures which I do not remember the name of. Perhaps dead arm was one of them?

46. Have owned an Akubra hat. Yes! Wore one for years.

47. Own/owned an Australia Cattle dog, Yes, Bella was part cattle dog.

48. Been to a B& S ball . I hate to admit this on my mature age blog but yes, many. Again in my wild and woolly youth.

49. Drive a ute. Not currently. I have driven lots and we've owned a couple over the years. Not family cars though. We do of course own a Holden!

50. Say G'day. What else does one say when you meet a mate?

51. Can cook damper . Have done, both for fun and out of necessity.

52. Can make billy tea . Mustering on the property and camping out have done the billy tea thing. That's a long while ago. If I don't have access to a kettle now I take the thermos.

53. Supported a sausage sizzle . Yes, often grab a sausage outside the shops on a Saturday morning when groups are fund raising. Attended lots of sizzles as well.

54. Own John Williamson CD/Music. In the past. Don't think we have any now though some of his songs are on CDs here.

55. Owned backyard chooks or know what chooks are. Yes, none at this house but in other homes. Our next doors have two gorgeous specimens, and we sometimes benefit from the eggs.

56. Call the toilet "the dunny" . I'm sure I did in the "good old days" but not lately.

57 . Wear thongs (on your feet...). Definately, and only on my feet!

58. Support Aussie Music. Yes and no. I love bush ballads and Australiana type music. I am not much impressed with current Australian music, even country.

59. Enjoy a beer. Nah, don't even like the smell of it actually! Don't mind Ginger beer.

60. Swallowed a fly. I know an old lady who swallowed a fly! Yes, done this, it is ghastly!.










Well, I consider myself to be Dinky Di, but I fall a bit short in this quiz.
I have never travelled far from home. Still, Australia is where my ♥ is!
.
Warning: I found this little post very time consuming. I would love to see the answers other give, but it's okay if you haven't got the time.
.
Pics: my oldest child at 12mths meets a koala.
A bushman's wedding. Akubra and all!

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your answers. We'll have to house-swap one day - bring the family down for the snow and we'll come see the Great Barrier Reef near your place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey, Ruby! I'd say you're a dinkum di aussie, for sure! Great quizz :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 57. Too much information, Ruby..... oh my!!

    Come down to the conference and we'll do the Great Ocean Road and the penguins at the same time. I'll even take you on a tram!!

    Too much fun indeed, this meme!

    PS How did you do a B&S Ball without a beer in hand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mum-me
    I like thise idea! I like it a lot.

    Melanie,
    No Tassie questions but you can guess that I haven't been to Tasmania either :-(

    Jeanne,
    I checked out the conference. I looks great! I would love to do this. Maybe one day when my eyes are fixed and a few other minor hinderences.
    I have a pic I was tossing up whether to post with this which involves both akubras and beer. I might email it to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me wish I was Australian, or at least part, or at least could visit your wonderful land...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindy,
    It is truly a great country and very beautiful. Also, Aussies are very hospitable, in general. You would be made very welcome if you ever make it here. My brother and his wife have just yesterday landed in the US. East Coast trip this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby,

    I was only one year in Oz, but managed to score a 31 on your quiz. Mostly it brought back many wonderful memories :D

    But what is a "B & S Ball"?

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just too much fun down under!
    Carol
    Florida, USA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie,
    You had a great adventure when yuou were here. It is great that you were able to experience so much of Aus. while here. I think I have marvelled before at how much of the country you have seen when I live here and have not got very far out of Qld.
    B & S = Bachelor's and Spinsters Ball!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ruby,
    I shall answer this on my blog - probably tonight. :)

    Sounds like fun - I had a giggle at some of your answers. :D

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Blessings,
    Jillian ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, knowing my time was limited, I went all out. On the other hand, visitors to America often see more than I have. I've never been east of the Mississippi. So much to do, so little time...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ruby,
    YAY - it's posted, and you're quite right, it took quite a while - interesting, though.

    Have a great weekend,
    Love and blessings,
    Jillian ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Ruby! Thank you ever so much for visiting my blog (regardless of my long absence in visiting yours!) Thank you also for your lovely, kind comments- they were greatly appreciated :O) I am so pleased I stopped by tonight and checked out your post here (a little late!) I would love to answer these questions too and I think that A LOT!!!!! of my answers would be VERY!!!!! similar to yours! I am not joking!!! We could be sisters in experience as far as our wicked early adulthood goes! I spent most of mine around Charleville and surrounds... no beer though - I hate the smell and the look of it... shall attempt to answer these q's sometime in the near future and thank you for the glimpse into your past "O)
    In Christ

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to seeing your Aussie Quiz, Pauline. Thanks for dropping over!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.