Friday, February 24, 2012

Brain Drain #1

Another installment of what has become the Weekly Waffle!


Do you ever find that one week seems to just roll into the next?  You know you've accomplished some of your goals, made the appointments, cooked the meals, but where did all of those seven days disappear to?



                    " The older you are the faster they go!"

I used to think that a very silly quote when I was young but of course it is true.  As my very serious brother went to great lengths to explain to me recently.  It is the ratio of time (a day, a week, a year) to the number of years you have lived.  And as I have lived quite a few, they are flying.  Twelve year olds waiting for their birthday (and being allowed Face Book) find that time drags very slowly.  Roll on March.

#  My daughter got a fine.  Quite a large fine :-(  for driving over 40kph) in a school zone.  It's the first time she has been pulled over and it was a very busy morning.  We had the van packed with big children, little children, oldies and swimming gear galore.  Fortunately, we had everyone appropriated seated/ harnessed.  The annoying thing was we drive this road numerous times each week and just last Friday  on our way to swimming, we had discussed the hours for the reduced limit in front of the two schools which are on that road.  You could kick yourself!

# It has been a hard week for her as she also received a similarly large fine for her two dogs "escaping".  We have had the pleasure of her two LARGE beasts here this last twelve months along with the family. One small back yard and two big dogs are not such a great arrangement. 

# I have missed January and now February's Ladies Bible Study.  :-(  I do miss my sisters from church and particularly their wisdom and fellowship.  As I said, each week seems to fly by and I am finding that I cannot keep up with extra curricula stuff so well these days.  My priorities are clear and I accept my limitations but I recognise that I am more often feeling spiritually dry as a direct result of this loss of fellowship.  It has been a season to re-evaluate my walk and reliance on the Lord. He alone is sufficient.  I know that is one of my weak areas as I am a social body by nature.  I also miss having the opportunity to pray with the others and know more of their needs.  Some times I can (wrongly) feel that I am the only one with problems .  I know.  Selfish.  Proud.

# A couple of good articles linked on Facebook have spoken to me this week.  Susan at Kerugma linked to "Meet the Enemy".  A good blog post on pride.

  My dear elderly friend Nancy, in the US linked to this news story of a pastor called Yousef in Iran who is facing a death sentence for his stedfastness to his Christian faith.  It is a brutal reminder to us in our cushy lives, where Christianity is at least tolerated, that the Lord's people, our sisters and brothers, are still living and dying for Christ's sake.

#  Also, a friend who suffers chronic illness and is often bed ridden posted this status with which I could well relate.
"Hard to explain to someone who has no clue. It's a daily struggle being in pain or feeling sick on the inside while you look fine on the outside. Please put this as your status for at least 1 hour if you or someone you know has an invisible illness (PTSD, Anxiety, Bipolar, Depression, Diabetes, LUPUS, Fibromyalgia, MS, ME, Arthritis, Celiac, Post Polio, Cancer, Crohn's Disease, Heart Disease, Epilepsy, Autism,M.D.,C.F.S etc.) " Never judge what you don't understand, I don't know which of my friends will copy. Be interesting to find out!!!.."
 
This is a reminder to me that there are many people who suffer, often in silence.  Whatever it is that is afflicting us, there are always people worse off.  This dear woman who relies so much on outside help.  My cousin's eighteen year old daughter  with excruciating back pain to which there seems to be no answer or cure.  She is facing the possibility that her whole life will be affected by this torment.  A relative by marriage who has end stage cancer but still keeps a cheerful countenance even when he doesn't know what is going on around him.

# And now for the good news!  A good friend's husband has been cleared of anything sinister after scans of his brain indicated that there may be a problem.  They have waited several months for a specialist appointment.  Thank you, Lord.

So, what happened to thoughtful, themed posts from Ruby?  My own brain is not functioning at peak potential right now.  I know you will forgive my waffling.  I feel I can write to you as friends these days!

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?

9 comments:

  1. Thoughtful, themed posts are great, but so are these, whatever-happens-to-be-going-through-your-mind posts.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for sharing what goes on in your life, Ruby, girl. We do care, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weekly Waffle - I love that title. It's good to read your thoughts, whether they are bundled into a theme or not.

    I couldn't go to my bible study group 3 weeks in a row because children being unwell, and I really missed it. I do hope you can manage to get out to yours again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol So much to choose from but what I think I will say is I live with someone who has a hidden disability & chronic pain. I get impatient sometimes ~ & I do know!

    The passing of time always brings us closer to resolution ~ one way or another. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I do so love your Weekly Waffles! I shall have to start some of my own. Well, my readers know that most of my posts are waffles but I'll have to credit you with the title! ~smile~

    Fines? Fines? don't talk to me about fines! I could have paid a month's worth of rent with the money I have forked out over the last 12 months in fines. I somehow (it's called Susan's Scatterbrain) let my license lapse and didn't realise until I was pulled over. Yep, here I had been driving totally unlicensed.

    I hate fines. I feel for your dd. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear from you, but I am sorry to hear about the disappointments you've gone through this week. It is hard to have those little things pile up on top of the big things, but I daily remind myself that THE LORD KNOWS.

    If He knows, He loves, He cares and He commands me to cast my cares upon Him, then I can endure.

    Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments. It is difficult on these posts with a few different topics, to make a comment, so I appreciate that you have stopped and taken the time to do so. Have a great weekend and a blessed and refreshing Lord's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May our gracious LORD continue to guide and bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ruby,

    It seems a weekly waffle is a great way to catch up! :) You are one up on me, my brain isn't even functioning enough atm for a waffle.

    The verse you finished with has been a psalm I have been meditating on this past week. Some great encouragement and hope contained in those verses for us all, when navigating our way through something difficult - especially something like an invisible illness, which I can relate to.

    Hope you have a lovely week. xo

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.