It really has been a while since I posted and the last time a clip. So much has happened and yet so little, if you know what I mean! I feel as though I have been terribly busy but not achieving very much at all! Like treading water, I suppose?
Our river reached a peak of 9.2m last Wednesday and has stayed at 9.1m ever since. This is major flood level and the submerged houses remain that way :-( It will be weeks before the water recedes and weeks more in the clean up. The death, muck and stench left by flood water is sickening. So much to be faced. Yet people are pulling together and putting their shoulder to wheel in the places where it has dropped enough to begin the work. Our challenge will be to keep up the momentum and to encourage those who, in several weeks time, will be losing heart.
The most devastating part this week is watching the flooding heading to the south. Torrents of water sweeping through towns and cities, destroying and causing havoc everywhere it goes. Flash flooding has so taken folk unawares that cars have been swept from the road and sadly, lives have been lost.
I am reminded that God is completely sovereign. God is in control. Even the wind and the waves obey him. How great is our God! If nothing else, we can pray that the recent devastation will cause people to turn to the Lord, to be in awe of his marvellous power. He is in charge of climate, change or no.
I wish I could say I am organized to start back to school and well rested. Alas, organized is the last way I would describe myself or my household at present! I am so thankful we were able to take the trip to Victoria at the beginning of December, before any thought of the events of the last couple of weeks. Our planned week in Brisbane at the end of the holidays is cancelled since our fair city is cut off by all routes to the south. The positive side of this being I will have that week to really GET ORGANIZED!! (Sarcastic grin)

Ruby,
ReplyDeleteYou've been on my mind recently as the Queensland flooding is in the news, even over here. Glad your house is high and dry, but I imagine it affects you as well.
School is good, but your boys are learning more by how you respond to the Lord and to other people in this crisis.
Hang in there,
Julie
Thanks for the encouragement, Julie. We have woken to the most tragic, terrifying and amazing footage of the flash flooding happening in the south east of Queensland. I am sure it will also be on international news. Lives, homes, property lost...... truly heartbreaking. It actually makes our slow rising/ falling floodwater and our present trials seem very insignificant.
ReplyDeleteGod is our refuge and strength, a very present help in time of trouble.
This is such a heartbreak to read, and yet God is sovereign in these events. Praying for you, yours and your area.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Carol
We lived in Toowoomba for 10 years ~ still have family on property out that way. Unbelievable. I was thanking God this morning I was under my nice dry roof, not sitting on it hoping for the best! And all that water's heading Brissie way. So glad the Gothic is done.
ReplyDeleteGla you are all all right & ready to cheer on & help out. ♥
Praying for you all. Thank you for posting an update.
ReplyDeleteAm reminded that the only safe place is in the center of God's will.
xo
Thinking of you and all your Queensland friends. I'm glad that you are safe. Terribly scary watching the news footage :(
ReplyDeleteHowever, God *is* in control.
Glad you are ok, got a bit worried when you hadn't posted for a while!
ReplyDeleteIt is incredible all that is going on in your side of the world. I think of you often. Every time the computer is turned on and the news presents itself. I pray still for your safety and that all this can soon be over. God is in control. We only need to ask ourselves what He wants us to learn.
ReplyDeletetake care Ruby and be safe,
tricia
With friends and family in Queensland flood affected areas I have been thinking of the devastation and watching it on the news. It is huge and the cleanup will take months. My heart goes out to all those families affected. Especially those that have lost or have missing loved ones.
ReplyDeleteTake care and stay dry.
I never did finish the unit study I was doing on states and capitals when we were interrupted with a flood. Guess what? My kids are fine. Yours will be, too. Do what you can for school, pray over it, and the Lord will guide and direct. Still praying...
ReplyDeleteWhat a staggering day it has been in the Sunshine State! We are completely stunned at the images of the devastation caused by flash flooding. At the loss of life. At the raging torrent now heading for Ipswich and Brisbane.
ReplyDeleteI have just got the news that one elderly woman washed away at Granthom (near Toowoomba) was known to us.
Lord, you do all things well. Have mercy on us and give us strength to cope with this dark Providence.
So sorry to hear about this disaster. Our hearts go out to you all.
ReplyDeleteIt's heart breaking, glad to hear you and your family are okay.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.e-water.net/viewflash.php?flash=psalm121_en
Praying! xxx
Dear Ruby, so pleased your family safe and well. We are fine here too, though all roads cut out of town.
ReplyDeleteYes we were horrified to see what unfolded in QLD yesterday, we kept an eye on the coverage all day, there is a lot of heartache for so many there.
Hugs and Blessings, Jan
Ruby I'm so glad that you and your family are ok. I wish there was more I could do and say. It seems inadequate and words sound like cliches but I continue to pray for everyone in Queensland and New South Wales!
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Kylie :-)
Oh Ruby, you are just so positive in the face of adversity. You are such an inspiration to me. Saddened to hear of the death of the lady that you knew. It makes it all so personal, doesn't it? I continue to pray for you all.
ReplyDeleteI just used the same verse from Luke 8 to say that our God is in control. We can certainly see his might and power right now.
Hugs.
Ruby,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're having a rough time down there with all the flooding. I know that God is in control of all things, but if it was me in this situation, I would be most scared, indeed! I don't see how you can be so brave amongst it all. You are a real trooper.
At any rate, I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. By the way, don't worry so much about being organized right now. You've got SO much going-on in your life. Just do what you can do, and ask the Lord to give you strength for the rest.
Blessings,
-Lady Rose