When I was a child, my Grandfather would tell us about a dim memory he had from his early childhood. He was a four year boy in 1893 when Brisbane experienced devastating flooding. He lived in the suburb of Rosalie which we are seeing a lot of in the news this week. Thankfully Great Grandfather and Grandmother lived in a very high house but I believe the Brisbane River rose to about 8 meters which is A LOT higher than this flood. I actually remember visiting my maiden (great) aunts who still lived there in the 70s and being overawed with how very high that house was!
As this historic week has unfolded I have been working on one of my Golden Childhood posts that has had the working title of "One Momentous Week in '74". It is about the week of the Australia Day floods which ravaged Queensland that year, but more about my personal dramas and memories of that week.
So now I am thinking that this too will go down as one of those historic episodes, which generally mark a generation. As Grandad spoke of the '93 flood and 1918, my parents used to compare to the '54 flood which was huge in the Don River area where they lived and here in Rocky also. My hubby and I speak of '91 when with a toddler and a small baby we were marooned, surrounded by flood waters in our little rural home.
We are country folk. Our lives revolve around the seasons. I don't feel I need to, nor am I able to write to much about the floods here and the catastrophic events on the Downs and South East Queensland. I know even readers in the US and other overseas places are hearing about all the drama. It is on our TV and radio channels 24/7. We feel a little numb.
We have the refugees back after a week at the Evacuation Centre. I am glad. Even though it is crowded and hectic, it is good to have them all here close. Sickness had broken out over there anyway and some "disturbances" which are bound to happen when large groups of random people are thrown in together. This is a special opportunity to support family and build bridges in our community. I battle for my turn at the computer anyway, but doubly so with so many in house! If you don't hear from me.....don't panic!
I have been touched and comforted and greatly uplifted by the people of God at this time. So many blogs that I read which have posted about the floods have had beautiful, faith filled comments. How blessed we are to know that the Lord reigns, that he does all things well and that he works all things together for the good of his people.
My thoughts and prayers are with all those in flood affected areas both here in Queensland and further afield. Thinking of you Jeanne, you have been through it all so recently and now a double whammy.
The photograph above is taken in Wood St, Rockhampton. On the left where the trees are is the park where we play often with the grandchildren. My daughter home is one street to the right but the flood water was 2 metres high at the peak :-( They hope to get in next week to begin the clean up.

Hugs, Ruby. Praying for you all - glad you have your loved ones close. Thank you for the loving reminder of God's sovereignty through the ages.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Jeana
Hi Ruby, you must be both proud and saddened to be a Queenslander right now. Glad you're safe, and that you have friends and family with you. They are what matters most. Sending kind thoughts your way. Love Mel x
ReplyDeleteMy dad, a retired farmer, made an interesting comment, after a long tough drought the rains can be as harsh as the drought and that is what we are currently seeing. The rains are filling up our water systems and flushing them out and replenishing it, it makes sense to me. We perhaps have built towns and cities in the wrong place, nothing fully understanding waters ways.
ReplyDeleteWe here in the U.S. have indeed been watching and praying for all of you "down under!" God bless.
ReplyDeleteI've been following the flood a bit and I am just amazed it all. I'm so glad you all are safe and sound. Praying for those hit. I just can't imagine.
ReplyDeleteCyberspace ate my comment! :( I actually object to the media hoo~ha. More water is coming. We need to move on & brace ourselves for the next onslaught, not wallow in the mud ~ metaphorically & literally. All Brisbane's debri is headed our way to create a shipping hazzard & even here there are food shortages of some items. There is much to be done & I can do withoit the media fuss while it gets done. Scratchy, ain't I? Lack of vitamin D, do ya think?
ReplyDeleteHa Ganeida, the irony is, we are having very hot, humid, sunny days now. My Vit D is refueled! The steam is just about visible rising up! (Phew!) There is an ominous feel of impending rain here. I agree, more is coming
ReplyDelete:-(
Ruby - You and yours are in our thoughts and prayers. May the Lord continue to keep, preserve and uphold you. Blessings, dear sister!
ReplyDelete