1 Blessed is each one that fears the Lord,
and walketh in his ways;
2 For of thy labour thou shalt eat,
and happy be always.
3 Thy wife shall as a fruitful vine
by thy house' sides be found:
Thy children like to olive-plants
about thy table round.
4 Behold, the man that fears the Lord,
thus bless-ed shall he be.
5 The Lord shall out of Zion give
his blessing unto thee:
Thou shalt Jerus'lem's good behold
whilst thou on earth dost dwell.
6 Thou shalt thy children's children see,
and peace on Israel.
(Scottish Metrical Version)
(Scottish Metrical Version)
Fruitfulness
Physically fruitfulness is a blessing from God. It is a coveted christian privilege and one that the world has sadly come to view as a curse.
But what of spiritual fruitfulness? This is what I have been pondering a lot lately. Am I growing? Am I blossoming? Am I beginning to bear much fruit?
We struggle with our besetting sins. We stumble, we fall. But the Psalm tells us that the man is blessed who fears the Lord and walks in his ways. This is the secret to happiness and he shall reap the fruit of his labour.
Do I exhibit love, joy and peace? how about gentleness, goodness, faith and suffering long? am I meek and temperate?
It's quite a hefty list when you look at it and really look at how you are going on a day to day basis. I know the struggles I have especially with losing patience, with having a meek and gentle spirit, with showing love.
But God....is working in his new creations. By his grace we are moving, no matter how slowly, on our pilgrimage in sanctification. If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness. I am so thankful and humbled by His amazing Grace.
I have studied before the "Fruits of the Spirit" . I need to seek more diligently to make them an evidence in my life of my love for the Lord Jesus Christ. Not just reading and praying about them (very important :-)
but making the fruits of righteousness evident in my life. The Holy Spirit indwells all who believe and trust in Him. May we live each day as witnesses to this great blessing.
It's quite a hefty list when you look at it and really look at how you are going on a day to day basis. I know the struggles I have especially with losing patience, with having a meek and gentle spirit, with showing love.
But God....is working in his new creations. By his grace we are moving, no matter how slowly, on our pilgrimage in sanctification. If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness. I am so thankful and humbled by His amazing Grace.
I have studied before the "Fruits of the Spirit" . I need to seek more diligently to make them an evidence in my life of my love for the Lord Jesus Christ. Not just reading and praying about them (very important :-)
but making the fruits of righteousness evident in my life. The Holy Spirit indwells all who believe and trust in Him. May we live each day as witnesses to this great blessing.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Galatians 5: 22,23
Very inspirational clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DxlJWJ_WfA&feature=player_embedded
This young man is a great witness for his faith in Christ and lives it! Take a look at the clip. .


I think fruit is not a "to do" list, but a byproduct of godly living. However, sometimes our "things to do" list can show we are growing in fruit such as temperance for completing tasks and patience when we don't have the perfect whatever in our lives.
ReplyDeleteLove the disciple you have Ruby, in posting so much inspiration.
Sorry if I made it sound as though I had set myself a to do list! I mentioned "by God's grace" for the reason that I know it is only by it that one can grow and produce fruit. However, knowing what those fruit should look like gives us areas where we should cultivate our walk to improve the crop.
ReplyDeleteI have heard the expression that we can not judge another's heart but we can be fruit inspectors! Very apt.`
I loved this post Ruby... fruit is something that I have been thinking alot lately.
ReplyDeleteThat quote at the end of your comment is fantastic! I have never heard it before: about being fruit inspectors. Very true!
Yes, it is God's grace that helps us grow, but I still believe we have an active role in our walk. Otherwise He wouldn't talk about 'overcomers' in His Word. If I am lacking love for eg, then He will show me that and then I need to repent, and ask Him to help me change into a more loving person. I must yield and surrender, or the process comes to a grinding halt. We certainly are responsible for how much fruit is forthcoming in our lives... and it is much less painful to agree with God then to suffer His pruning shears. Ouch!! lol. The Holy Spirit is the enabling (and convicting) power to spur us on into His image and likeness. So we are not alone and helpless... amen!
ps. Nick has an amazing testimony... I went to a meeting once in Brisbane, where he was a visiting speaker. His mum is a nurse and I can't remember what his dad is, but it was such a shock for them when he was born without limbs. His is a powerful testimony for the Lord, that's for sure! He travels throughout the world to tell it too...
ReplyDeleteMaybe your blog should be called Mumma's Well. I always find living water and refreshment here.
ReplyDeleteThanks Richele,
ReplyDeleteGod's Word is an inexhaustable supply!!!
Amanda,
I haven't seen Nick in person but have seen different interviews etc. A friend sent me this last week and I was really moved by it. Also my boys have come back and watched it over and over. It really touched them, too.
Ruby, this was a lovely piece - thank you so much for your up-lifting words.
ReplyDeleteRuby, you are such an inspiration to me. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI too have been blessed to hear Nick's testimony in person. It definitely puts things into perspective - I certainly thought twice about grumbling about my aches and pains for a while afterwards!
I always like to take my birthday as an opportunity to look back over the past year to see whether I am growing and bearing fruit or stagnating. I find that it is often the prod that I need to be more intentional with my walk as I continue to work out my salvation with fear and trembling. I am so grateful for the grace that God gives to me in willing me to act according to his good purpose. I couldn't do it alone!!