Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mumma's New "Place"

Some of you may recognize the photograph below as one of my old headers. It was the childhood home of my paternal Grandmother and was a another great example of the good old Queenslander.

About every six months I usually change my header. I have been using the family homesteads from my family history albums which should keep me going for a little while. This time round I thought I would use this beautiful example of a classic "Queenslander".

I bought this wall hanging from a second hand store about ten or eleven years ago. I just love the style of this house. The Queenslander has a central section consisting of 3 bedrooms, hallway and lounge room. Across  the rear, bathroom, dining and kitchen. The front and both sides are verandas. Typically, especially in places like Rockhampton, the house stands on high stumps. This increases air flow and gives some safety from flooding. You see many Queenslanders in Rocky, and many along the Fitzroy River, where low blocks such as the one in the wall hanging are rare. The old family picture is from a location far from any rivers so is also on low stumps.

Many of these grand homes no longer look as the above. Most, such as the 1920's built model we live in, have had the verandas enclosed. This gives us a really big home but of course much of the character is lost and they have become box like. They also loose the ability to capture the breeze. Up here, we call the enclosed veranda used as a bed room a "sleep out". In ours, we used the sleep out as such when all the children were at home. Now it is Annie's room.....Anything can be found in here!! Computer, spare bed and cot, babies things, stored clothe ~ you get the idea,  Our other side is our "school room" (complete with old school desks with ink wells!). The front is just an entry area with phone and  several book cases.

The above house is very grand looking. It hangs in our lounge and reminds me of the glory days of this old house. Ooooh.... I feel another song coming on!

"Ain't a-gonna need this house no longer
Ain't a-gonna need this house no more
Ain't got time to fix the shingles
Ain't got time to fix the floor
Ain't got time to oil the hinges
Nor to mend the windowpane
Ain't a-gonna need this house no longer
He's a-gettin' ready to meet the saints
"
From this Ole House by Shakin' Stevens


Back view at Mumma's Place

8 comments:

  1. Just love the Queenslander - never could understand why they didn't build them in Darwin - instead we lived in a horrible concrete box (that would never blow away in a cyclone).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how much the header looks like the real thing. So tell me, why do they call these Queenslanders?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia,
    The design was used in Queensland from the days of early settlement. The high stumps being good for both ventilation and flooding, I think they are copied from houses further north in monsoon areas eg New Guinea.
    While other Aussie states may have houses of similar design these days, the southern states tended to stick with a more British design. The Queenslander, however, is recognized as distinctly ours!
    Jo, who commented above, and others Aussies who commented when I had this picture up a few weeks ago, would immediately recognize it as a Queenslader, which is why I used that title then. I was a big "State of Origin" football game night. (Queensland won by the way!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruby,

    We are fond of the Queenslanders ourselves - and have managed to have a look at a couple of this style home in our house hunting adventures.

    I think your song is an appropriate catch call for this style home - they sure do require a lot of looking after. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of the Queenslander. They are unique! Spent part of my childhood in a 100yr old one & I loved it to bits despite its rather numerous drawbacks. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mumma's backyard looks marvellous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, a little bit of Real Estate inspired photography! I noticed that they often photograph the older style houses with the lights on. When I gave it a try the result is rather dazzling ~ and a little deceiving. It sort of takes the shabbiness away and gives it a sheen. (Like Pappa's head!)_

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.