Friday, June 18, 2010

Autism Info?


and an appointment at last!

Immunisation can be a hot topic. I am not really wanting to post about the pros and cons, but I would be really interested if any readers have personal experience with negative effects from immunization . Or perhaps your family does not immunize because you know of others who have had bad outcomes.
It is on my mind at present as my two older grandsons are turning two.  Both have been fully immunized without any adverse affects. However, a friend with a similar aged child mentioned the other day that they are reconsidering his two year old shots, due to the link between these injections and autism.
We have a friend who works with autistic children and she hears from parents that this is when their symptoms began.


Among our friends and family and the local home schooling group, I have known a few children diagnosed some where on the autism spectrum. One woman in particular I remember attributed her sons condition to immunization but being a couple of years since I spoke to her, I am not sure whether it was specifically the two year old shots.  The young woman I spoke to recently was saying that a parent can choose to have all or leave out some, of the shots.
Hmmm... so any thoughts? Any anecdotes? For or against?
Care to share?

Worth waiting for....

8 July is the date for my pre-op. appointment! This means I should have the cataract procedure done sometime later in July! I am really pleased about this, and the timing couldn't be better. This pre-op work up falls in the second week of our school holidays.  Then we will take a few days off and go down all together, DV, for the operation. (JF if you are reading, we hope to see you then.
Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement with this.
. 
The end of another great week. Delightful weather, Cool and crisp. Younger son competed and came third in a Cross Country event which involved local home schoolers and a few small christian schools. Great effort. I am crashing into my bed tired but very happy after a cuddle and giggle filled afternoon with all the little boys here.
Sigh..,
Thank you. Lord for a wonderful week.
Have a good week end , one and all.

20 comments:

  1. Excited to hear the news about your appointment. An answer to prayer.

    We immunise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good news about your appointment and probable surgery in July! Thank you Lord!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for great cross country results. I know that when a child struggles academically (like my Ducky with her reading) it really gives them a boost in self esteem to do well athletically.

    Good to hear you've got an appointment for your cataract op. Praying it goes well. Hope the family can get a nice little holiday out of it too.

    As to the immunization and autism - well my SIL insisted the MMR gave her son autism. In hind sight, and having worked with autistic children in pre-school, I can look back at my nephew's early development and see the signs there long before the 2 year mark, which was when they became quite obvious. My SIL had special immunizations imported from USA for her next son (the three injections in separate jabs rather than all at once - they said back then that it was the mixture of the three that caused autism) but he is also autistic - and on a more severe scale than his older brother. I don't think the MMR is still on the immunization schedule now; they still immunize for measles, mumps and rubella but I think it's a different formula (or something technical like that.)

    While I respect every parent's right to choose whether or not to immunize their child, I still like my own mother's advice which was that the risks of getting the disease and all associated complications (not to mention the pain and suffering of the illness) was much, much worse than the sting of a needle jab and the risk that something bad would happen from the immunization itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruby,

    I think you already know that we believe my Lydia's health problems (going from 95th percentile weight to 5 % weight after boosters) was caused by vaccines. We no longer immunize our little ones. Here is a link to all my posts with the category title "vaccinations."
    http://coveredbyhishand.blogspot.com/search/label/vaccinations
    Our family's vaccine history can be found there as well as MANY great article links!

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a grandma, I, too am concerned about issues like immunizations. The number of immunizations that they give babies and children today have doubled since I had babies in the 1980's, which was my first concern, not to mention the link with autism. I was surprised to find out that they had already given my daughter her first vaccine while still in the hospital the day after she was born. I've read about it some and I shared with my daughter that even if she and her husband want to give our grand daughter all of the vaccines that it would be a good idea to space them out farther apart, especially the MMR, which they have done. A good website to find out about the link between vaccinations and autism is http://www.generationrescue.org/

    I'm so glad to hear about your upcoming appointment. I'll be praying for you. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruby, glad to hear you have an appointment soon.

    I am still not 100% at peace with all the immunizing. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Other than generally not feeling well, or running a fever after shots, none of my children had any adverse affects to shots they received.
    That being said, we did not complete shots for our younger three children. The youngest never got any shots after, I think, 12 or 18mos, and the two above her didn't get any of their booster shots. Only the oldest two had a complete series of shots. I had begun to have concerns about the shots as we went went down through the children because they were constantly changing the shots, or how the vaccines were administered, and the thing I got the most concerned about was when they started grouping a whole lot of shots in one injection. I seemed to me that they were constantly expirementing (with our children!), so after awhile, we opted out. I had heard of bad/severe reactions and I was hearing a lot of things about them that were raising red flags. Then, a few years ago (after we had stopped with shots), we met a young woman whose mother cared for a girl who had had a severe reaction to a vaccine, which basically stopped her mental development at the age of 10mos (the age she got the shot). It turns out that quite a few children in the same age range as she was ended up with varying degrees of mental difficulties - all of which were later linked to the vaccine the children had received at around 9-10mos. It made me glad that we had eventually opted out, and thankful that my children had never had that sort of reaction. It made my children talk about never giving their own children vaccines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ruby, Very glad for your op date Amen... About vaccines, we are still not completely confident in alot to do with them, but at the moment the pro's outweigh the cons for us, at least until we learn differently.In America they have recently ruled in court that immunisations have nothing to do with autism, but I don't quite believe it as it was all very quickly swept under a rug. My eldest does have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder and believe he showed signs before 2 but I think at that age they are developing and learning really quickly so it did become more obvious after that age. He was officially diagnosed at 6 yrs. We immunise, but I do feel like I am blindly trusting when I take my babes for jabs. Hard one, I'll seek the Lord as people don't seem to have an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids have not had adverse reactions from shots, but I do think they are related to autism. The real question (in my mind) is: how many kids with autism have NOT been immunized? Any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for sharing your different experiences and thoughts on this issue of immunization. Hubby and I swung a little with our rather spread out in age children. We had no adverse effects with either the ones who had shots or the ones who didn't. I am very thankful for that. As in "our day" it seems the issue is still not clear cut.
    I am praying for the Lord's protection on my grandchildren whatever decisions their parents make on their behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both my children have been completely vaccined (no problems) and I was as a child (likewise my brothers and cousins - no problems). The problem with children not being vaccinated is if too many don't we could go back to the bad old days before vaccination e.g. polio. Of course each parent has a choice but we also have to think of the greater good that vaccination has done. My two cents worth. And with any drug, there is always a small percentage that has an reaction. A complex issue.

    The problem is we just don't know enough about Autism - the hows and whys. Has Autism been on the increase, if so why - is it due to better detection or is it environmental (which could mean anything).

    Praying about your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruby,

    So sorry that I gave you the wrong link. You can find my postings on vaccinations and articles at http://graceinbloom.blogspot.com/search/label/vaccinations

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  13. Renelle,
    Here is a link that shows the US government report that states that the vaccines CAN/DID cause autism... and they paid out a large sum.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/the-vaccineautism-court-d_b_88558.html

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruby, I had both my children immunised, but today, I wouldn't.

    The girl Felicity I posted about recently, has a brother named Kris. His child has autism and they believe it is directly related to the immunisations.

    Glad you have things finally rolling along for you and your eyes... good news!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a contentious issue! I share alot of the same concerns that others have listed here. For now, we have opted not to immumise our children, although our first was up until 12mths. We are not totally anti immunisation, but we are not convinced that the vaccines are 100% safe either. At times we revisit this discussion and yet, so far we have not felt comfortable to proceed. I was quite shocked recently when chatting to my local GP about it, to realise the sheer number of vaccines given to children now. 13 years ago when our eldest was a baby there were not so many! There is an interesting discussion about this on the Aussiehomeschool forum at the moment - lots of interesting links to follow.
    So pleased you are all booked in for your op.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Melanie,
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't often remember to pop over to see what is being discussed at Aussie Homeschool. Will chech that out. Oh dear, I was on my way to bed, too.!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having come back to read over the comment here, Ruby, I have to admit I am surprised at the number of your readers who are not immunizing their children. Again, I do believe parents have a right to choose but when I personally know a woman whose 6 week old baby died from whooping cough (caught from a friend's toddler who had not been immunized) I can't help but feel surprised.

    My parents willingly had themselves immunized against these childhood diseases last year - several months before their youngest grandchild was born - so they could visit without fear of unknowingly infecting him.

    I guess my perspective is a little different from a lot of Aussies. My mum lived her childhood in PNG as the daughter of missionaries. She saw first-hand the pain and suffering, complications and death caused by these easily eradicated diseases and has told me many times that the disease is far, far worse than the immunization.

    I, myself, have had to deal with the loss of an adult friend who died from complications related to Chicken-pox (which she caught from her own children) and a childhood friend who became seriously brain damaged from a severe case of measles (before we had immunizations for that one).

    My youngest daughter, just yesterday, completed her juvenile course of immunizations at age 4. Two needles, which means two sore shoulders, contained several vaccines. I prayed for her safety before taking her to the nurse and trust that God will care for her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for coming back to comment. It is good I think to keep both sides of an issue in perspective. Whooping cough is one illness which is rampant in these parts and several soon to be grandparents I know of have had the shots in preparation.
    My four (great) nieces and nephew living in France at present have just had both chicken pox and whooping cough, but they had all been immunized.
    I think the point you raised in the beginning, your mum's advise that the risks of not having them and contracting the diseases, have to be weighed against the (seemingly smaller) risks of side effects including autism.
    When I meet my young mother friend again this week I will have no more definate input, in fact I may be more confused! My daughters and partners have talked a little about it but seem definate to have the vaccines. (BTW it was my older girls who were not immunized and my younger ones who were.) They had the experience of having to have Tetnus shots when they had wound type injuries and the whole hassle re Rebella when expecting the babies. God has been gracious to spare us any major dramas but they didn't appreciate not being immunized. Mind you, they perhaps don't appreciate or agree with many of our decisions when in our care :-(
    The information we had plus the added Paediatric supervisiion over our very premature boys, caused us to reconsider and change our minds later on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS. Keep in mind too that a number of my commenters on this post are from the US.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.