Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?
And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a three-fold cord is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12
On Saturday, I attended the wedding of a lovely young couple. The groom's mother is one of dearest friends, and I was very privileged to be invited to this family celebration. The Ecclesiastes passage above was read at the wedding and it was greatly emphasised in the message that marriage, between believers, involves three parties. The Groom, the Bride and God. A three-fold cord is not quickly broken. "Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it."
My friend was radiant, surrounded by her large family, she pictured the "joyful mother of children" I know her to be. She assured me she had shed plenty of tears before hand!! All five daughters were dressed so sweetly, and their youngest, five year old boy, absolutely stole the show as page. When his dad was dressing him in suit and tie for the church, Master 5 says, "Now I look like an old man, Dad!"
What I loved so much was that these two young people, who have both professed their faith in Christ, looked and behaved in such a relaxed yet modest and respectful way. The wedding was not in my own denomination, so there were of course some differences which we would not practice since we see a wedding as a worship service. I did not attend to criticise, but to join in a very special occasion. 300 or so Baptists can really raise the roof!! I loved the way that every speaker, the Pastor and the couple's fathers, gave God the glory, committed them to the Lord and heartily welcomed each to their respective families. If these two precious young ones heed the advice, instruction and example they have been given they will truly enjoy a blessed marriage. "Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest...."
.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.