Last Saturday, 7 February, 2009, Australia experienced the greatest loss of life ever in a natural disaster. Australia is a vast country with a small population. The loss of 130 lives to bush fires is devastating and the nation is in mourning. Still others are unaccounted for. The loss of life and the devastation to the land, crops and homes,is unbelievable.
Lord, be merciful to this country which has walked away from you. Comfort and encourage your people in the fire ravaged areas and open the eyes of many who do not know you but look for answers in the midst of desolation.
The area is being treated as the crime scene of a mass murder as these fires were deliberately lit.
Dorothea Mackellar, in her famous poem "My Country" uses some vivid descriptions of the Australian landscape. One running through my mind now is "her beauty and her terror". I will post that poem soon as it is one of my favourites.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.