It's Friday night at the end of a great week! I feel stretched but not out of shape! Tired but in a really good, hard work, exhausted way. What a fantastic season of life I find myself in. It is rich and rewarding, It is also physically, emotionally and to some extent spiritually draining and yet I find so much opportunity for spiritual growth and challenge.
There have been the usual demands of house work and school. The precious times of family interaction and meeting with friends. The joy of worship and fellowship with other believers. For a stay at home mum I seem to spend an enormous amount of time in the car, going to activities and running errands. Aaah! I wouldn't have it any other way!
I think these middle years are so full of learning experiences and challenges to our ingrained ways. There are elderly parents who need love and attention but also give so much in wisdom and a secure base for extended family life. There are grown children already left the nest but still needing support and "mum" time, who give so much in return by their own support and physcial help. Younger children, growing, maturing, erring but learning. So much a part of the home and life yet so precious and teachable. There are grand children, whose faces light up to see their "mumma" and thus bring such a joy and delight to my heart. At times I marvel that I am now a middle aged woman and enjoying such a full, rich life in every aspect.
Thoughts carried over..
Last Sabbath we had two very stirring and thought provoking messages which I had hoped to get some notes of down here. Alas, after writing about the wedding on Monday, I have not got back to it since. What has stayed with me most from 1 John has been the admonitions to the various age groups. Little children, young men and fathers (mature). Pastor brought out the lack of a "teenage" group in biblical times and how our culture, including the church, panders to this "long childhood", selfish and with out responsibility. It is good for us as home educators to keep this in mind with our own children. Spiritually, we sometimes have low expectations and certainly in other areas of responsibility in relationships, home and church life.
What I have been thinking on most is the admonitions to "you fathers" because you have known him that is from the beginning. The respect, honour and duty of the "aged" in the faith, as in Titus 2, to both men and women. I pray one day to have wisdom, grace, experience enough to fall into this category. I thank God for the blessed saints he has placed in my life as godly examples.
I have been reading a few sites and many interesting articles concerning the Titus 2 passage especially as it applies to women. I do not think I can add any new insight to it but I hope to write a little about my beliefs on some of these areas, Lord willing.
I actually think the internet can be both a positive and a negative in teaching these good things, as I suppose it is in every area. To me the Fathers and Mothers (teaching the faith by example) , should primarily be the experienced and godly people in ones own congregation or locality. Books and websites have heaps to offer but it requires discernment to sift through and compare with scripture, which many new Christians have not yet gained. It is easy to be swayed by every wind of doctrine. It can be crippling to spiritual growth to be caught up in a "movement" which has high and lofty teachings and expectations but no on the ground support and encouragement and little or no biblical grounding.
A situation resolved!
To close the week I attended one of the most uplifting and united meetings tonight, where God was held high and brothers and sisters committed to trusting, serving and glorifying him, while loving and forgiving one another.
Though I am weary I am rejoicing and elated in spirit. Praise God!
"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!" Psalm 133:1
.
Ruby,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a full week!
I am trusting that since you have not mentioned your leg lately that it is healing well.
Bethany
Yes, hectic but rewarding!
ReplyDeleteMy foot is great. It is a bit "tight" when I first get up but once I've been moving around it's good.
Ruby