Saturday, June 2, 2012

Honour your father and your mother



My mum and dad recently moved into a low care hostel  in an aged care facility near by us.  I am so grateful that in their retirement they moved to Rockhampton.  Although the farm holds many precious childhood memories the hub of our family is now in that little unit where our two dear grey and frail parents reside. ♥♥

The three weeks since they moved in there have been very hectic with Mum having a small operation to have a sun cancer removed and Dad ending up in hospital for most of the last week.  It seems their move has been just at the right time and the staff have been wonderful ... to them and to us.  We are rather like an overwhelming bunch of mother hens I fear, but they have been patient with us!

I am the only sibling actually living here in town so a lot of the visiting, running around and chores do fall to me.  God has been very gracious to give me strength over the last couple of weeks. I have one sister living close by who does a lot and cares for all the finacial matters etc for Mum and Dad. Dad is still very sharp in his mind but has gone blind.  I consider it very precious to have had my parents for so long (87 & 82 years of age).  Scripture tells us that we are to honour our father and mother.  I know that mine have not been difficult to honour because they are fine, upstanding people.  I think of that promise ~  that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.  I know that my parents honoured and respected their own parents and have been indeed blessed with long lives.

One of the most difficult areas for me to "honour" my parents has been that of our faith.  I am a Bible believing Christian.  I avow the 5 Solas.  It is Scripture alone for me.  So while I have tried to love and respect them I can not adhere to the many extra Biblical practices that they do. I have complete peace and trust in God that he does all things well and that as judge of all the earth he will do right.  I know that some of my family do not consider me heaven bound because I have walked away from the "one true church".  All I have been able to do is to live a life before God which I pray will show forth my love and trust in my Lord and Saviour.

So many families now are riddled with divorce, remarriages  and de facto relationships that the family tree can sometimes be a very twisted and complicated one.  It must be so difficult to honour parents who have been negligent, abusive or totally absent.  But amazingly God gives grace even for that to those who love him.  I know that in my reckless pre-Christian days I often neglected the good teaching and sensible advise of my parents.  I now know the pain of watching that rebellion  in my own children, but I am also beginning to reap the great joy of a deeper relationship both with my parents and with my own maturing children.  How gracious is God to set the solitary in families.  Thank you Lord.



Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

6 comments:

  1. Ruby, for some reason I didn't see this one when I checked just earlier -- I was so sad to hear of your dad's hospital stay. It does seem that the Lord has orchestrated the timing of all this perfectly and that must be very reassuring -- to know they are in His special care. I can begin to imagine how much this adds to your busy plate and will pray that God will continue to give you strength, and make it in some way a blessing and even perhaps a help. It's true I think (with my own parents) that as we grow up a bit we come to have a much deeper and richer appreciation for them and the gift of their love, even though there are areas where must disagree. I'm so glad we can trust our loved ones with our loving Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in the sandwich generation for sure, actually you have four generations. This must be wonderful for you and them.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruby: May God bless you for your faithfulness. Whether our parents are good bad or indifferent we are to honour them because it is right in the eyes of the Lord. Honour is not the same as following blindly & once we have set up our own homes 1. we are under our husband's headship & 2. we are to walk before the Lord as He directs. Hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good in you Ruby for your honoring and caring for your parents! I agree that honoring our parents as the bible commands us to brings blessings into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad your parents can go into care together. My mother had to move into high care earlier this year as she needs 24 hour medical care. However my dad has remained at home, now alone for the first time in over 50 years. He has taken a lot of adjustment and been tough on both of them. I live in Canberra whilst they are in SA so I can't visit as often as I would like, but I do ring dad twice a week and have long conversations with him to give him company. Mum has gone through a very negative stage and suffered depression for a couple of months but appears to be slowly recovering. They are both bible believing Christians and that is what is getting them through this difficult stage of life. It is times like this that I wish I lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be difficult to see your parents move into care, but it is nice to think they can go in together. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.