My older son was fortunate enough to be able to make the trip to Canberra with the Groves Distance Education Students and Teachers last week. What a fun, action packed week that was! with the long drive from Brisbane to Canberra and back on Sunday and Thursday nights and each day crammed with activities. They did a lot of educational/ touristy high spots as well as a recreational day at Thredbo. Not only is my S1 more widely travelled than the rest of us with Dad the only exception, but he is the only member of our family to have seen and frolicked in snow!
S2 made pretty good mileage of being the only student at home. While he still had to do basic school work he also had a nice treat going out to lunch with Mum at Hog's Breath on shopping day..
His sister, in her already very busy day, managed to make time to play board games and give him some extra attention. (He wasn't admitting it but he missed his mate.)
Lord willing, S2 will have the opportunity to make this trip in '13.
This week the dedicated Groves staff have conducted a workshop for the students in this district who are enrolled with them. These are always a great day and especially being a Science theme.
Here they are launching their `hot air balloons.
The lad second left is my older son. A pilgrim? No, he is wearing his "thinking cap".
Quantum physics?
I'm not sure but some of the older children were able to keep up :-)
Some of the families travel from as far as Mackay to the north and places like Bauhinia and Rolleston to the west so these are really good days for making and renewing friendships as well.
Four generations!
The twins are 9 weeks in this pic but today they are eleven.
I mentioned last week that the children had all been unwell. Thankfully they are all improving. The older children also got a bad dose of it which laid the boys in bed for a day although my daughter soldiered on, as mothers do :-)
Alas, I have also come down with this 'flu which brings with it a dreadful cough. I have very little resistance to anything at the moment so I have ended up with a chest infection. Grrr... I do try to be patient, long suffering etc but I must admit I am rather over being unwell just now :-(
Tomorrow the boys begin rehearsals for the Homeschoolers concert in a couple of months. This was begun last year by one of the musical families, although we've had many more amateur concerts in the past. I must admit my fellows, growing older, cooler? are not so enthusiastic this time around, but I think it will be lots of fun. Plus, for uncreative, non musical mums like me, it is the perfect way to cover a few of those bases!
Have a great weekend everyone!





Praying about this chest infection Ruby. I wish I could send you some snow. :-)
ReplyDeleteOoh I love that scripture at the bottom of your post Ruby!! Sorry to hear you are unwell. This years flu is a nasty one, my 14 yr old and I were the hardest hit here and are still a little rundown after it. I hope the chest infection clears up quickly. The trip to Canberra sounds awesome for your son! We were there as a family in May and loved it! xx
ReplyDeleteWe'll continue to pray for your health.
ReplyDeleteMy - the babies are getting big.
Love reading your news. The four generation picture is sure special also. Praying for you as always.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Carol
Mel, God's words to Joshua as he led the people into the Promised Land! Can't get much more stirring than that.
ReplyDeleteGoodmorning Ruby. :)
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying a rare (these days) quiet morning at home, and the opportunity to catch up with some of my bloggy friends. So I just wanted to drop in and say hi ....... xo
We too have had the nasty, chesty, cough bug here. Hope you get on top of it soon. xo