and learning to live with chronic illness
One of the long term "side effects" of Type 1 diabetes is kidney impairment.
My own kidneys have been shonky for a long time which is fairly standard
for someone who has had Type 1 for close to forty years.
In my recent health crisis which was actually a bleed in the liver,
my kidney function plummeted.
On my return home I was invited to join the next session of the Renal Group.
Apart from the fact that most of the attendees were at least 20 years older than me,
which is daunting, it has been a very informative exercise for me.
Knowledge is good and it can be motivating.
Sometimes, the knowledge can be a bit overwhelming, making one feel hopeless,
but it is definitely the aim of the very devoted Chronic Kidney Disease
team to encourage us.All of us were folk with Chronic Kidney Disease
at some level above the need for dialysis.
Scarily, my GFR (renal function) dropped into the level four category
which is just one step above dialysis, at the time of all the trauma.
It is s-l-o-w-l-y rising and I praise God for this reprieve.
What have I gotten out of this time spent in education?
All the usual things are stressed - diet, exercise, take you meds.
But it has been good for me to learn more of what our
"fearfully and wonderfully" made kidneys do in the body,
to refocus on keeping them for as long as
possible on the level they are - no matter how shonky.
It was interesting today to get a better picture of what each
medication does and why it is so important to take them.
I also found it helpful throughout the program to discuss not only
the effects of our actual illness but also of these medications
and their side effects _
some of which I have had, not realising they are related.
So, if I seem tired and flakey at time -
well I probably am :-)
I am planning to begin a Cardiac Rehab session soon but since it is a
much bigger time commitment and I have done parts of it before.
I am putting it off until the long holidays in the hope
of not eating up too much school time.
I have always tried to accept my chronic health problems and carry on
life regardless but I realise that I also need to learn
to accept my limitations.
Like most people in this situation I tend to have big ideas
and I overdo things when I am feeling well -
Only to crash there after!
This is not my usual type of post but I wanted to share with you
friends what it is that keeps from blogging etc these days.
Have a great week.
"My flesh and my heart faileth,
but God is the strength of my life and my portion forever."
which is just one step above dialysis, at the time of all the trauma.
It is s-l-o-w-l-y rising and I praise God for this reprieve.
What have I gotten out of this time spent in education?
All the usual things are stressed - diet, exercise, take you meds.
But it has been good for me to learn more of what our
"fearfully and wonderfully" made kidneys do in the body,
to refocus on keeping them for as long as
possible on the level they are - no matter how shonky.
It was interesting today to get a better picture of what each
medication does and why it is so important to take them.
I also found it helpful throughout the program to discuss not only
the effects of our actual illness but also of these medications
and their side effects _
some of which I have had, not realising they are related.
So, if I seem tired and flakey at time -
well I probably am :-)
I am planning to begin a Cardiac Rehab session soon but since it is a
much bigger time commitment and I have done parts of it before.
I am putting it off until the long holidays in the hope
of not eating up too much school time.
I have always tried to accept my chronic health problems and carry on
life regardless but I realise that I also need to learn
to accept my limitations.
Like most people in this situation I tend to have big ideas
and I overdo things when I am feeling well -
Only to crash there after!
This is not my usual type of post but I wanted to share with you
friends what it is that keeps from blogging etc these days.
Have a great week.
"My flesh and my heart faileth,
but God is the strength of my life and my portion forever."


Precious Ruby, I'm glad to know more about what you are up against and so grateful that you have the information available to help you be as healthy as possible, for as long as possible. It sounds like you need whole teams of people to encourage you in the face of those conditions! I am sure that everyone who loves you would rather you take care of yourself than overdo blogging (though of course we miss you). Please know you are always in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteKnowing what you're facing helps us when we're parying for you. :D
ReplyDeleteThank you for the update. I find health problems at a young age, when you still have young kids, especially challenging. Daily you have to wisely choose what few things you will accomplish, knowing you only have so much strength.
ReplyDelete"Lord, may you bless our dear sister Ruby with a great improvement in her health. We ask you to repair her fearfully and wonderfully made body, that she may function more fully as a mommy and grandma. And during the time when she is feeling poorly, give her the wisdom to know where to spend her energy and help for the things she doesn't have the strength to do. Above all, Lord, I ask that you would bless her with your Presence, that she would so deeply feel your love and your care, that she would continue to bear this trial with grace and faith. Bless our dear sister, in Your Holy Name we pray, Amen."
Love you, sister!
mommamindy.blogspot.com
Definitely keeping you in my prayers Ruby. This post is sure a mouthful. I pray all will work out for your good and the good of your family. Timing is so important for this kind of a focus since so much energy is involved.
ReplyDeleteSo good that you got all that information. When I did training on homeschooling in a counseling children class, we prayed for you as a class. Think of you and pray for you often.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Carol
Dearest Ruby, I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. My mother is currently on dialysis, and it can be quite an ordeal for her at times. However, I am glad to hear that you are still "alive and kicking." Hang in there Dear Lady! :)
ReplyDeleteP.S. I sent you an email today.
I'm glad you found the sessions worthwhile, and am very very glad to hear you are heading in the opposite direction to dialysis. I admire your attitude toward your condition. Hope and pray you feel better and better as the days pass by.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the details and I pray that things go ok. It must be tough at the moment
ReplyDeleteThanks for updating us all. Will be in touch soon.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear of all this. YOu have continuously been in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your comments and continued encouragement.
ReplyDeleteSusan, it is rather ironic that you seem to be able to post here now yet I cannot comment on my own post under my Google profile. This happens on some other blogs and not others. Some of my readers might think I am ignoring their blogs but it is likely I have not commented on some because I cannot get in under Google, Wordpress, or anonymous :-( Gggrrrrrrrr...
Ruby
(Blog owner!)
Second thought it may have been Mrs BB who had many hassles getting on?
ReplyDeleteRuby,
ReplyDeleteI too thank you for the update. We'll keep you in our prayers.
Catherine (aka alecat) xxx