While shindigs such as this obviously cost an astronomical amount, I read with interest the comments of an Englishman on a Christian board that I read. He maintained that the monarchy cost them individually very little and that the members worked hard and earned an enormous amount for their country through tourism etc. Here in Australia we have our share of yeas and nay's (for the monarchy) but most of us seem to enjoy a good wedding. That is, unless you are a footy fanatic. Some of my relatives were quite indignant that they had to forgo live coverage of tonight's game for the big event.
I have some thoughts about the suitability of all that fuss when a couple have been co-habiting, the service etc. (the repeated showing on the broadcast of a particularly awful icon) etc. etc. But when it all boils down I am pleased to see a couple making the commitment to marriage and wish them all the best. They seem like lovely young people, happy and relaxed and I loved Kate's dress which was sleeved, feminine and not flashy at all. Loved the veil, too.
![]() |
| Another dignified royal beauty Elizabeth Bowes Lyon Queen Consort of George VI Later the Queen Mother\ |
These look as though they are not created by milliners but by sculptors!
How would you like to be seated behind something like that.
Beatrice and Eugenie had to take out the worst offenders award in this category. Two beautiful young ladies who really did not need those gawdy accessories. Their exiting from the car was quite a skillful manoeuvre!
And on another theme entirely
You will have heard of the terrible tornadoes that swept through part of the US yesterday. Any of my readers over there I hope you are in safe havens. We send our prayers and sympathy to you. Kelly from
Generation Cedar has tragically had her house entirely devastated. Praise God all her family have been spared but apparently they are in one of the worst hit areas.
Lord give them comfort and reassurance of your love and grace at this tragic time.


HA, that's so funny my mother, sisters and I commented on that exact same thing, hilarious and ridiculous. I really liked Kate's wedding gown and veil though. Renelle
ReplyDeleteI too, watched the wedding. People here in Canada have the same feelings about whether we need a monarchy or not. I personally like having it.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, some of those hats were quite something!
Not only did Beatrice and Eugenie wear ugly hats, their dresses were poor choices as well. Kate's dress was one of elegances and beauty - very Princess Grace. She looked like a lady:) her sister also looked lovely, very slimming dress.
ReplyDeleteYes, I read about those terrible tornadoes in the USA, fortunately my brother and family live in Colorado so quite safe.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Didn't watch ~ but apparently Star was because I commented on the lovely music. lol So I saw the dress wich I thought was really lovely: feminine, ladylike, restrained.
ReplyDeleteI also happen to think the royals work very hard; it's just their morality that is questionable.
And the tornadoes are awful ~ but God said he would shake the foundations & boy are they being shaken!
We left Alabama a day before the tornado hit. Eveyone I know there is safe. However, my brother and family do not have electricity and it may be up to three weeks before it is restored. My brother and his wife went to Tennessee yesterday to a laudromat, to recharge their iPhones and to buy gas and food. My niece and her family went to Atlanta. My Atlanta cousin and his wife stayed here Thursday night on their way to the space shuttle launch, which was canceled.
ReplyDeleteWith such a week I recorded two hours of the wedding to listen to at my leisure--what leisure?
Hugs,
Carol
I'm sure that wedding was a sight for the eyes. Probably mostly so those hats you describe. The one pictured looks like something my little girls would have made had I given them the right amount of paper and glue!!
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Ruby, loved the wedding and I loved the hats (not all). Devastating news about the Tornado. xxx
ReplyDeleteYes, I should add that SOME of the hats/ fascinators where quite nice and stylish.
ReplyDeleteWe've been camping since Friday morning so didn't see the wedding (my teenage daughter was upset about that). I was interested to see her dress and once we got home a managed to find a photo of it online. I thought it was simple yet stylish and elegant, although rather understated for a royal bride. Much nicer than Princess Mary's though.
ReplyDeleteSo sad to hear about the devastation from tornadoes in US. I will remember Kelly in prayer.
My wife forced me to watch it! :-)
ReplyDelete