Monday, April 18, 2011

Vanity of Vanities...

There is no new thing under the sun..




Ganeida reviewed  "The Red Queen" a few months ago and kindly loaned me her copy of "The White Queen" to read. Since then I have read quite a few of these historical novels by Phillipa Gregory.  I am not a history buff, though I do enjoy learning more of history, so I am not going to comment from a factual point of view.

I have vacillated about whether I like these books.  So much scandal, corruption, sex, politics and intrigue.  Hey, that sounds a lot like society today!  This has really struck me - the immorality and lack of ethics in 1500s England.  While the Victorian era heralded a somewhat more austere life style and a turn to family life and morals, the Yorks, Lancasters, Tudors and other great names of the medieval period showed no such restraint.

When discussing  this with a friend, she commented that they were immoral but today people have become amoral.  Hmmm... there is no new thing under the sun.  What makes the 1500s scenario even worse/ sadder is that most people lived  a facade of Christianity and did much of their wickedness under a cloak of "church".  Today, people for the most part, do not pretend to be believers, though sadly many still use the guise of "church" to give some respectability to their wicked behaviour..

If the Lord tarries, one wonders how our own generation will be remembered in historical novels of the future.  While wickedness and ungodly behaviour abounds, perhaps we will be viewed in much the same way as our forefathers.  I pray that the Christians might make a clear and committed stand for the Lord and His ways which is for the glory of God and not for our promotion as so often has been the case.

In these bygone days, many lost their lives defending what they believed was truth and standing against the blatant abuse of power that was wielded over the common people. Whether we agree with their point of view or not, they had the courage of their convictions. Today, many of us are still appalled by similar heresy and ungodly behaviour but do we speak out and make a stand for the truths of God's Word?  Are we lights in a dark world?

Ecclesiastes 1
4One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.


8 comments:

  1. I agree about reading some novels. Nothing new under the sun when it comes to immorality!

    Lately I have been reading nonfiction instead because my course work in counseling demands this. Look forward to the day I can read novels. Also, this year every day I post Scripture highlights on Facebook and yet even Scripture has immorality. However, in Scripture we have God's solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having always had a keen interest in history, I have also wondered how this age will be portrayed in centuries to come (if the Lord doesn't return before then). I agree with your friend's assessment - at least in the Victorian era Christian values were upheld by the majority of the everyday population so immorality was seen as exactly that - immoral - whereas in today's age if anyone were to suggest that living with your boyfriend and having a baby out of wedlock, or having multiple partners over a period of time, or even cheating on a spouse, was immoral we may well be attacked as being old fashioned, out of touch with reality, judgmental or a bible basher. (or all of the above + more)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Ruby. Two things. I was thinking about you a couple hours ago and how I miss your posts. I thought, hmmm, I wonder when Ruby will make another post. And here it is. And two, on speaking out in a wicked world. Well, people don't want to hear. Can't handle hearing about the wickedness and all that is going on. It's not politically correct to "be a light in the world" anymore. Someone, somewhere, is going to cry and whine over truth. So yes, often it is just easier to turn your head and go on living your own life and just stop trying to be that one who speaks out against evil. It's like beating one's head on a brick wall and thinking we can knock it down!! Thank you Ruby, for speaking. That's one more head hitting the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah my friend. They were wicked times indeed. I got terribly upset with the men using their women for their own political ends & the innocent heads that rolled as a result. A lesson for us all. Few in any generation have truly found the Lord but ours does seem to have thrown God out with the bathwater & has no restraint on their wickedness. The books are *interesting* but most of the characters aren't very likable. Being a history buff I just thank God I didn't have to live through such times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an interesting distinction between immoral and amoral. Have to think more about that!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though the Victorian era appeared to have stronger Christian values, I am sure the upper class "rakes" got up to all sorts of amoral behaviour - that would have shocked the rest of Victorian society!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo: they did. I am reading a wildy amoral bio now! lol People are people. We've been told ~ the way is narrow....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep. the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, who can know it?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.