On birth, death and everything in between.
Today is my gorgeous and very precious, second daughter's
twentieth birthday!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
You can read a little about her here from last year.
Yesterday we had a great morning with all the children and grandchildren,
lots of cake and chips and lollies
and cuddles
to celebrate the occasion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Earlier in the week I got the more sobering news that an (extended) relative is in the final stages of cancer. As this is a case where there was a broken home, back when we were children, I had not seen this woman since we were maybe ten or so. I was really touched that another relative contacted me and told me of the fond memories she had of times with our family and of us kids.She thought she had beaten breast cancer but is now riddled with other tumours.She is forty two years old, with five children.Her youngest is five.
Then on Tuesday, the brother of one of my own brothers-in-law, who was also not expected to survive long with cancer, died after a stroke.We attended his funeral today.Have you ever been to a bushman's funeral?You would only see that many checked shirts and akubras at a rodeo.
This man was a very well known horseman and his funeral was a moving tribute to a man who loved the bush, his horses, his family and people in general.
Yesterday we had a great morning with all the children and grandchildren,
lots of cake and chips and lollies
and cuddles
to celebrate the occasion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Earlier in the week I got the more sobering news that an (extended) relative is in the final stages of cancer. As this is a case where there was a broken home, back when we were children, I had not seen this woman since we were maybe ten or so. I was really touched that another relative contacted me and told me of the fond memories she had of times with our family and of us kids.She thought she had beaten breast cancer but is now riddled with other tumours.She is forty two years old, with five children.Her youngest is five.
Then on Tuesday, the brother of one of my own brothers-in-law, who was also not expected to survive long with cancer, died after a stroke.We attended his funeral today.Have you ever been to a bushman's funeral?You would only see that many checked shirts and akubras at a rodeo.
This man was a very well known horseman and his funeral was a moving tribute to a man who loved the bush, his horses, his family and people in general.
One of my brothers also lost a close friend this week in a chopper mustering accident.
A young husband with four small children.
I can only wonder.....
How do those who live with out the Lord cope in such times of sorrow?
When we mourn a believer, we do it knowing they have gone to be with the Lord.
We rejoice that a saint has gone to his eternal home.
That their body is resting in the grave until the Resurrection.
It reminds me how fleeting our lives are here on earth.
NOW is the day of salvation!


So sorry to hear about all the sorrow in your life. May the Lord be your comfort and your song.
ReplyDeleteYes, I have been to a bush funeral. Plane hanger full to bursting to farewell my brother who died in a crop dusting accident. Checked shirts, Akubras, bike leathers & flying jackets. I too do not understand how people cope without the Lord. They must tell themselves some interesting lies. I am so sorry today has been so rough. Prayers for you & yours.
ReplyDeleteI can just imagine that Ganeida. This was held in the rodeo arena of our famous "Great Western Hotel", fitting but very unconventional. Shades of the Steve Urwin send off but less commercialised.
ReplyDeleteWe are currently going through this with DH's mother in the final stages of cancer (she is in late 70's) and it is very sad to watch. Day after day of suffering, however I know she loves the Lord, her husband and children don't , but it gives her the strength she needs as her end is near. Perhaps her husband is seeing first hand the power the Christ.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to your daughter. Very sorry to hear of all the sadness. You are so right that we can only take comfort in the one who comforts us - Jesus our Lord. xxx
ReplyDeleteJo, that is such a blessing that your MIL is going to be with the Lord.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to your daughter!
ReplyDeleteYou and your family are in my thoughts and prayers in this time of sadness.
Ruby, Happy Birthday for your beautiful daughter, you must have had a wonderful time celebrating this special day.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about such sorrow for you and your family at this time, you are in my thoughts and prayers dear friend. xxxx
So sorry for the losses! May God give peace and grace for those who are saddened at this time! So, happy for your beautiful daughter, though. I am another mother who "gushes" over her daughter.
ReplyDeleteRuby,
ReplyDeleteThis was a very sobering post today. I'm sorry to hear that one of your relatives has cancer. My father died of lung cancer back in 2007. Cancer is a "nasty" disease that I wish some doctor would create a "cure" for so people would not have to die at an early age.
After reading your stories here, I was painfully reminded of our short time here in this life. Sometimes, it gets difficult to look heavenward in the midst of a busy and crazy world . . .
Blessings,
-Lady Rose
You are so right. The hardest part of losing my step-father this year(for my girls and I) was that he was not saved. I don't know how others manage without having the faith that God is in control of everything.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear of your sadness and loss, hugs to you!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and very sobering words! How often we see death and life together in the same breath. My father-in-law died last year, and our youngest child was born almost a year after. We mourned for the loss of our loved one, though we know he's in heaven, and we rejoiced for this new precious one. What joy to be able to hope in Him!
ReplyDelete