Friday, February 1, 2013

The Week that Was

Many's the time I have grappled to think of something to write to update my blog.  Occasionally when life is hectic, I have lots of material but little time to "put pen to paper" ( in the old speak) : This last week has been so hectic, and with very quick changing scenarios, that my head is swimming!

Last week flash flooding and terrific wind from Cyclone Oswald caused quite a lot of damage and flooding here and even more so right down the coast of Queensland and into New South Wales.  We have grieved with the city of Bundaberg which experienced its worst ever recorded flood.  Houses swept off their stumps, roads with huge craters carved through them from the violence of the water.  The power of the wind and the waters are extrordinary!  The power of our great God!

Now we wait as the Fitzroy River steadily climbs to its expected peak of 8.7m.  This is 50cm below the 2011 flood but still hundreds of homes and businesses are flooded.  For many of us it is "business as usual", yet for those valiant souls along the river flats it an anxious wait, hoping that it will not go higher than predicted.  The last thing they need is more rain ~ which has been forecast :- (


Rocky airport 1/2/2013
Taken this morning
Closed this evening except for emergencies.

GS 2
First day at Kindy


The big day arrived and my two oldest grandsons started at their kindergartens.  I've mentioned before my mixed feelings about this and I think I was more churned up by it than the little boys, or their mothers.  All went well.  The girls have begun the long years of school drop offs and tuck shop and all the related to-ing and fro-ing.

I knew long ago that my children did not feel the same way as me about schooling, though being home schooled themselves or perhaps because they were home schooled :- (.  I suppose it is just another matter in which I have to say, "Thy will be done." and leave it in God's capable hands. We made our choices with which the children have not always been happy.  Now we see them having to make choices for the next generation.  God give wisdom and knowledge to each of us as we need it.

This ol' house, in which we have lived for 14 1/2 years is back on the market.  It has been bought and sold a couple of times since we've lived here and each time we have been able to continue renting.  This time it is much more weathered than previously and we have not really had a chance to "tidy up" since the family moved out.  Again, I am seeking to trust in the Lord for our needs.  I am so pleased that my daughter was able to move into a good place before the ordeal of having people look through the house started.



With our home, our city and the state in such upheaval this week we made only a brief attempt at school each day.  Oh, it is hard to get back into the harness!!  I think the only thing the boys and I have enjoyed about it is starting the book "Twice Freed".  Reading is not their favourite pastime but listening still is :-)

I trust that all who read here are safe from the ravages of fires and floods which have swept our diverse country in the past few weeks.  For all getting back into the academic year I wish you the best. 

The Lord is on my side, I will not fear.........

10 comments:

  1. Ruby
    Take heart, I also have a family member who was hsed and is choosing to send her child to school. I say, give it time, I really think her expectations will be much higher than the school can deliver, I'm giving my family member 3 years tops before they pull child out and hs.{{}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting observations, Erin. Either way, I hope your little men enjoy their year of kindy. Don't stress too much about homeschool in the middle of a natural disaster, Ruby. Stay safe, and enjoy those read alouds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been watching the news and seeing the devastation around Bundaberg, and the anxious waiting of the people in low-lying areas of Rockhampton, and thanking God that we were spared much of their heartache. Hope your home is not sold from under you (which did happen to my husband's parents after they had lived there for about 15 years) and you can get back into the school work with renewed vigour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Water to the left of us, water to the right...Yep, that was a bobby~dazzler of a storm! We had parts of trees come down on either side of us but thank the Lord. everything missed the actual house! And you too are high & dry, thank the Lord.

    I have not returned to school yet thanks to the *low* & am not schooling anyone this year either. I feel a little strange watching all my boggy friends gird their loins for the new year but Cait bought herself a backpack & has enrolled herself in TAFE [Soooo proud of her!] & has herself all organised for starting next week.

    About the 2nd week she was aiding she came home & said, Mum, it's a really good thing I was homeschooled; I would have turned into the most horrible child if I was in school! The chances are your girls will have a change of heart before they're done but sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side. I always loathed having kids in school. It exhausted me far more than homeschooling ever did.

    Keep safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will pray that the LORD continues to sustain your health, dwelling and area, Ruby. May He specifically direct you to stay where you are or to move to an other place where you can be wonderful neighbors. Glad your daughter and kids moved out before this all happened.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruby, it is always so good to hear from you! I hope you weather another home "invasion" and continue renting. We've been there. Having to keep house while it is being sold. Never any fun. I pray the weather over there on the other side of the pond is calming down. You be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best Ruby, for settling into your new year, and adjusting to the changes ahead again in your family. I am so glad you are high and dry. God always goes before, but you know that! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do take heart - whilst schools may not be perfect, many fine children do emerge from them, they aren't all messed up - I think my 2 sons have done pretty well and all my friends have lovely children. Its not school alone that makes a child, it is what goes on at home too that is important. And never fear, the Lord looks after His own. Praying that your feet stay dry and those of those you love. In my thoughts and prayers:)))

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right of course, Jo, and I am praying constantly for the Lord's protection on all my loved ones no matter where they are or may go. I am interested to see whether my children will soften their views after a few years dealing with the system, even if the children continue on there.

      Delete
  9. We will keep you, your family, and the flood victims in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.