It has been a typical Rockhampton week weather wise - hot and humid. This has made it hard to buckle down. But here it is, lunch time Wednesday and the last of the school books are packed away. Such a great feeling!
2012 has been a year of many highs and lows. I guess that makes it a very typical year. We've had a few good break throughs with the boys reading. S2 particularly has improved immensely in this department. S1, though he finds anything academic tough, has really shown maturity and applies himself to what ever task is put before him.
Sadly, my boys do not enjoy the formal side of schooling and I am trusting that they will find what it is they love and want to do in life and then go for it with gusto!
![]() |
| Come on ~ it's not that bad! |
We have some unfinished books which I will attempt to get read in the next few weeks. Have you found as the children get older that it is much harder to make times to sit and read together, especially on holidays? One of the books we have almost completed is my Uncle's family history, so that is a great read together and conversation starter.
We ended the year with a bit of a bang last week (another reason why we have been sluggish this week). We had the Groves Presentation Night on Wednesday last, both boys receiving certificates for effort and character. Then on Thursday, my older son's fifteenth birthday, he and I attended the Graduation Dinner. This is held each year in our little home school group to celebrate the completing of Year 12 or in some cases 10, of some of the students. This was a lovely night out for the older students.
The graduates and guest speakers
My handsome birthday boy, second right, with mates
at the Graduation Dinner
Then on Friday we had a Break Up with all the homeschooling families.
This was a fabulous event with slip and sliding, water fights, family challenge and a shared evening meal.
The Capricornia Homeschoolers are a terrific bunch!
It is wonderful to see so many young and enthusiastic people getting involved.
This week, apart from finalising our formal work, I have a number of appointments and taking my mum to one as well. Then it is time to really enjoy the holiday break!
I thank God for the many blessings and mercies he has showed to us this year. We have faced many challenges but we have come through. We have enjoyed many family occasions and we are blessed to have all of the grandparents living and contributing so much to our lives.
We have learned to trust God more as he had enabled us through difficult times as well.
"The joy of the Lord is my strength"



Congratulations all round. I am so pleased to be FINALLY [& officially] done. Forever.
ReplyDeleteSuch a good report. Your boys are maturing!
ReplyDeleteYou mean books are to be read, not just collected!!!!! LOL I am so overwhelmed by books and am getting up the nerve to turn them in to a used book store--simpler than selling on line. Then with the credit at that book store I can get (gulp!) more books to collect/read.
Hugs and prayers,
Carol
Mmmmmmmm. Holidays! Enjoy, my friend.
ReplyDeleteWe've got two weeks left till break. I'm looking forward to a nice holiday this year.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the completion of another year. Glad to hear the boys are making progress and striving to overcome their difficulties. T.Lynn has made wonderful progress this year with her reading. I couldn't be happier to see her read things on her own. There were times I lacked faith in it happening, and I'm sure you've had those days as well. Well done!!
ReplyDeleteGood morning Ruby :)
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed catching up with you and your blog today. :)
I second Jeanne - Mmmmmmm, holidays! :) xo
Vacation-gotta love that word. Have an awesome one my friend.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Ruby! Enjoy your holidays! We are still doing school work here but are looking forward to a break soon:)
ReplyDelete