Friday, November 30, 2012

Bye, bye books

Well, a decent portion of them.

Many of my bloggy pals are book-aholics, as so many Christians, homeschoolers and lovers of learning are, and they are posting wonderful pics of their home libraries as they grow.  I see enviable shelves, rooms even, with neat rows of books sorted into their many and varied subject areas.  I know it was a vague dream of mine in the past as well, but I have shrugged that one off completely now. (All sigh and groan with me together!)


One can dream!

I've had another enormous cull.
Refer to this post to the last big cull about two oops three years ago. Three years!  How could could over a thousand days have passed sooooo quickly?

I haven't taken before and after photos this time.  The house in general, and the school room in particular, has become totally chaotic.  The family have been living here for almost two years now and with so many little people in the house everything has had to be put "up".  Well, we only have a limited amount of "up" in this place.  Something has to be done!

ALL of the boxed books from the last clean out have gone to Life Line.  I am sorry I did not read my old post and the comments before I did this as I may have passed some things along to other, more tragic, book lovers :-) Yes, the World Book has gone.  The Child Craft books have gone.  Many of the novels have gone.  I had to make ruthless choices, disposing of many,. many novels, general knowledge and interest books. 

With my two remaining schoolies being non-readers, I was able to selectively keep the books I plan or at least hope to use over the next four years.  I also allowed myself the luxury of a few old friends like Norah, Laura and Mabel.

Of course, this school area has a lot of "schoolie" stuff as well. With all the space I have been able to move some of my devotional and Christian Biographies onto those shelves. ( Does one house need three copies of Pilgrims Progress? Just wondering?) We have never had all our books stored in one area.

I have found the book shelves scattered in several rooms of our house are constantly on the grandchildrens' hit list of places to raid.  We do not have the luxury of being able to close off ANY rooms in our house other than the bathroom,/toilet.  Not a good place for book storage :-)

Thus we loaded the Tarago to the max last week and delivered eight boxes of books, 5 garbage bags of clothing (mainly baby from my daughter's twins) and a few of her baby accessories that we were storing in double! It was liberating!

This coming week I hope to do the other book shelves but this is a tidy and not a throw out.  Hubby and I can not bear to throw out Christian Classics.  And I will be keeping my poetry books.  These two categories will grow, I know.

The receptacles for picture books and young childrens' stories are in constant use. I feel a little sad that some of the beloved titles of my own children, which we have kept so carefully, are now rather dog-eared.  Still, I am very pleased to see my grandchildren loving them the way their mothers did, their grandmother, and my own mother.

The rest of the house is preparing for similar treatment!  Every cupboard I hope by end of the holidays.  The heat conspires against me by sapping all of my energy but this is my plan at present.

I envisage a house with somewhat less disorganisation.  It does not fix up the poor old structure, nor does it clean it......That is another story. Perhaps it will give us a little more space to work with.

Have a great weekend.  We have a few more days of schooling to complete before we end 2012.  Wooweeee.....

What are your holiday plans.  Travelling? Relaxing? Cleaning? Blogging?


"Whatsoever your hand findeth to do, do it with your might"


9 comments:

  1. I remove, my children deposit. So far it's a 5:1 ratio. I'm losing. ☺ All the best with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those books have a habit of growing. I am trying to get into the idea of Nook and Kindle for books, but it is hard. Checking out books from the library helps. Even so, collecting and reading classics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a big cull a few years ago and sent bags off to lifeline too. I am tying to be more selective in my purchasing so hopefully I buy less "rubbish". I am also using the library more which should reduce novel buying. However I will continue to buy art books and cookbooks.

    I also do a purge during the summer holidays and it feels so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a huge project! But I imagine the sense of lightness and space is well worth even the grief of having to part with books that were not being used. I do hope it makes some of the routine things easier for you. How precious that your grandchildren are reading things your mother read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. About the same, but on a slower schedule. After having the grandkids live with us for a year, we have a lot of damage to deal with. Scribbles on walls and furniture to be removed, fix door hinges that were swung on like a carnival ride, fill holes in walls, clean food spills off couches, put towel bar back on wall, repaint scuffs...

    Also getting rid of books and homeschooling stuff, since am on my last student. Feels good to be getting rid of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneering-Today-ebook/dp/B009LOO7YG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354808584&sr=8-2&keywords=Pioneering+Today

    Here's a free book you can read online. Just download a free Kindle app, then you can download free books! I'm just starting to do that. Keeps the bookshelves from overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindy. Your first comment rings so true for our place. Doors which have been swung on :-( Towel rails, too :-( Two years for us and could be a while yet. Trying to repair while everyone is still here is almost impossible. But we are all well :-)

      Delete
  7. We trying to cull the books here, too. I say 'try' because I'll box up what's to go, then I notice a growing pile of books being pulled out as 'keeps' as different family members go by.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.