"Friendships are like roses, the petals die but the perfume never fades away."
My old buddies seem to accept that I am a christian and sometimes make exceptions or apologies when I am there and something is said or done which I might not think funny/ appropriate. This is without my saying so, they just do.
I am very fortunate in this whole friend department with sisters, relatives and many christian women who have become my mentors, confidantes and sounding boards. I treasure these who are mostly women of faith and share so many views and commitments with me. Our friendships are based either around family ties or faith. I always know I will get good solid advise and realistic comfort and I thank God for that.
It's different with these old school mates! What a motley crew we are! But after this meeting, I was struck by the wisdom and maturity of these ladies. True, that wisdom is not from God and His Word but rather a worldly type, but solid non the less. These girls are grounded. Because of our very long friendship we are able to discuss many and varied topics and share our joys, heartaches and goals openly. Particularly on a matter that had been troubling me with one of my children, I experienced real connection and a light toward resolution on hearing one of my friends story of a child in a similar situation (Of course, I thought no one else had every had this problem :-). Also one of these ladies who has had some very tough life experiences helped me to see things a little better concerning my daughter who is left as a single mother.
I love the Godly wisdom of my "usual" friends but I know that some of these situations are out of their sphere of experience. I hope that I can be a realistic listener and advisor when it's needed. I suppose it is something to ponder as we deal with all who come across our path ~ sympathy, empathy, patience, shared experiences. Of course we know that Our Jesus is the ultimate answer and we want to share it, but to the unsaved it is impossible to fathom that what ever is happening is God's will. We need to tread thoughtfully.
My cousin, my friend
"You can choose your friends but not your relatives."
One of my special friendships is with my cousin who lost her husband twelve months ago. It is hard to believe it is a year. So much has transpired. I have come to love and admire her all the more for the strength and courage she has shown during this period of mourning. Again, I hope I have been the patient listening support I have wanted to be.
Do you sometimes feel, as I do, that our lives become so busy and fraught with drama that it is easy to forget the ones that need to be comforted, that are lonely, that are ill?
I hope that each one reading will forgive yet another one of my little waffles. Also that you, like me do have a wonderful circle of family and friends in which you feel loved and are able to contribute to as well.
A big weekend
We have a busy weekend ahead with the Homeschooler's concert tomorrow and the "Utopia" reunion on Sunday. I am still unable to load my photos on here which is annoying as I have a couple of beauties of the kids!
Have a good weekend.

I didn't notice no photos until you mentioned it, because you painted such an interesting picture of friendships.
ReplyDeleteHugs and prayers,
Carol
Your social media friend from across the miles
Yes, I think we can take and learn from all types of friends be they christian or not, God can use all of them in the tapestry of our lives. Friends are a blessing!
ReplyDeleteI don't have many non Christian friends, but some of my family are not believers and I have learned much from their wisdom. God is merciful to all:)
ReplyDeleteI love when women can open their hearts and lives up to others, that's when you get REAL answers and help. I'm thankful you had women you could trust, that's one of the reasons we don't always open up to others.
ReplyDelete