On this day, 24 years ago, my first child was born. The years pass quickly indeed. Sometimes I don't even feel as though I am 24. How could I have children this age??!! Do I still grieve. Yes, in the sense that one of my family are not here, but not in that heart broken way you do when you first loose a loved one.
Recently someone commented that I seemed to think about this child and talk of him a lot considering his eight short days of life, such a long time ago. Ha, only someone who has not lost a child could think that. Losing anyone we love is painful, but in our children are tied up many hopes and dreams and a great deal of love, long before he ever leaves the womb. Counselling books will tell you that the loss of a child, whether a still birth, neo natal death (as mine was) or later in life is one of life's greatest sorrows akin to the loss of one's spouse.
Thank you Lord for my son, through whose pregnancy, birth and death I have known such great joy and desperate sorrow but in the long run been strenghtened in so many ways. I would say, that has been one of my most valuable character changing/ developing experiences.
I am learning lots of lessons about my character at the moment. I have always loved children and I guess I am a little dotty about my own :-) My grandsons have always been a delight to me and now sharing such close time with two of them is flipping my heart and giving me much to giggle and gloat over!
I am learning that I am much more tolerant with these little ones that I can hand back to mother for the tough stuff! I attribute this calmness to my heart medication which keeps my heart pounding at a a slow, even pace even when things are noisy and chaotic! I think my partial eyesight and deafness in one ear are both helpful in glossing over behaviours which may have got my dander up in by gone days. I hope also I have simply relaxed and can take life a little less impatiently and a lot more humorously than in days gone by.
I know I am learning to re-assess my goals and reasons for home schooling. My boys have begun the year's work and I am contented with their progress. It is a new challenge for us all to have a one and two year old in the house! Drawing, books and puzzles only occupy them for a very short time. So while my own fellows have all the challenges of their learning limitations, they are also developing some great diversion tactics for small people, a lot of patience, and how to keep their precious belongings OUT OF REACH.
Dad is coping tremendously and is also finding he is more patient and less stressed about little people than he once was.
And my daughter is coping marvellously under difficult circumstances. She is a blessing to have in the house. (Hey, didn't I train that girl?) My second daughter is also doing a great deal to help with flood clean up and child minding which is a great help.
It is one of those hectic and potentially fraught weeks ( with the cyclone threat and unpleasant weather and other trials) which has turned out well and productive
A nice stir fry for tea and maybe a movie tonight.
Hope everyone else has had a good one as far as school goes and those still in flood areas and cyclone affected areas, I pray for your safety and a quick recovery.
Create in me a clean heart, oh Lord, and renew a right spirit with in me.
Hope everything is back to normal shortly.
ReplyDeleteRuby,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your heart in the story of your son. It amazes me how He gives us strength even through the sorrows((hugs)).
Hhmm... and tell me, from your experience, Ganeida my dear, does it ever really "get back to normal"?
ReplyDeleteYour grief. We just can't control the course of our life, but it is good to pause to remember the short life of your child of eight days 24 years ago. Did you mean to say "somethime I feel as if I am still 24?" Feb. 4 will always be such a tender day for you. The death of my first husband was so hard for me, but I heard that the death of a child is the worst grief. I believe that to be true.
ReplyDeleteYour joy. Your love of children always comes through on this blog--your daughters, sons and grandchildren.
Your limitations and possibilities. I was aware of your vision issues, but not the hearing. You are always in my thoughts and prayers, dear one, and your area of the world pops to life for me now.
I just love that we can be friends over these miles and share the concerns of our heart and see the LORD's faithfulness in sustaining us.
Hugs,
Carol
Well, there is *normal* & there is normal. lol
ReplyDeleteI think I told you I miscarried Christmas day one year ~ between the girls. Over here it was *deal with it yourselves*, so we did but I still wonder about that little one. I don't even know if they were a boy or a girl but I chose a uni~sex name for them & still grieve for all the possibilities that can never be. And I know how hard my mother has grieved for my brother ~ far more than for her spouse, which was natural & not unexpected. It is a hard road to travel. ♥
Ruby I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is something I have never experienced but I have often thought when i've seen others go through it that i'm not sure I would ever recover if I lost a child. Don't let ignorant comments get to you, your child was a precious part of you and no amount of years or healing changes that fact!!
ReplyDeleteI've not experienced that level of loss, Ruby. But my mum lost a new baby when I was a little girl, and all these years later, I know she feels it keenly still. While we can *see* how deeply it pains her, I think it is right to say you could never fully comprehend and understand unless you have been through such a great trial.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad there is One who knows and understands all our sorrows! x
Mrs BB
Hello dear one.
ReplyDeleteYour life, at the moment, sounds pretty delicious. I'm glad.
Jeanne, hullooooo!
ReplyDeleteAre you back? Are you safe? xo
Thanks for dropping by everyone!
ReplyDeleteBB....you reminded me of a story my aunt told me just a few years ago of her mother, my grandmother. She had a still born child and commented not long before she died in her early 90s that one of her hardest challenges had been going home with empty arms from the hospital that day.
Praying for you. I cannot imagine it is every easy to lose a child at any age and the pain of missing them never goes away completely until we are reunited with them in Christ! :) Praying the Lord's blessings on you this day!
ReplyDeleteOh Ruby,
ReplyDeletesomeday He will wash all our pain away, but not yet...
so sorry for your loss.
But someday you'll meet your treasure in heaven,
Julie
Still praying, Ruby. I know I'm a much more patient Gramma in some ways, to the point where my daughter tells me I can't let her daughter get away with stuff. I was a very strict disciplinarian as a mother, I think I used up all my spankings. Glad you are able to adjust to the new "normal" with joy and calm.
ReplyDeleteIt was good for me to read this today. You are an ecouragement to me!
ReplyDeleteRuby,
ReplyDeleteThis story truly touched my heart.
By the way, not everyone who has not lost a child will think it "strange" that you still think about them deeply. I've never even birthed a child (yet), and I see nothing "strange" about this at all.
Blessings,
-Lady Rose
Of course Rose. Most people are very sympathetic/ empathetic ~ but only someone who has not known the pain would make such a comment.
ReplyDelete