Friday, February 11, 2011

Learning about Them

Hello to anyone who is still popping in to read at "Mumma's Place".  In the two years of my blogging career I have fretted that I may be addicted to my blog and the reading of other blogs.  Well, this last month or so has shown me that I am not .  Truly life has been so jam packed that though I may have lots of good bloggy bits to share I do not have either the time or the energy to write any posts.  And as before mentioned,  computer turns have been rationed with me often being at night.  This is not my most productive time of day........and so, very little coming to the edit stage here.

Last week I mused about what I have been gleaning about myself through our recent  flood disaster  and more personal calamities.  This week I am pondering what I am learning about others.
I have long know that teenagers often tend to be selfish.  I am gratified to see the young adults of my family have moved through this stage and are taking on the responsibilities of grown up life.  It doesn't always happen you know.  I see many examples of people into their twenties and thirties and beyond never moving beyond the totally self centred, self promoting life style.  I am encouraged that the younger members around me, though still thinking primarily of themselves can and often do eventually choose the road which is of greater benefit to the household  (in simple things like TV viewing) and to their own greater good as well (in more intimate decisions such as church attendance and moral choices).

As a parent and particularly a home schooling parent, I have long embraced the principles of discipline and routine in the ordering of life and in the raising of children.  I have not always been good at this because I am by nature fairly relaxed.  I am however, seeing it so much more clearly in my grand children, whom though I love to assist with in every way possible, I do not have the responsibility for training.  Six weeks ago they arrived here in a very stressful and dramatic situation.  They have not returned to their flooded home since...... But the constant crying and fretfulness has disappeared, the restless nights of disturbed sleep and panic at being separated from mummy are things of the past.  Patience, routine and lots of love and reassurance has seen the return of my two sweet, good natured and mischievous little men. It has been a wonderful first hand opportunity to see good parenting take effect and earn results.

I am also learning, or perhaps re-learning, that people are not always what they seem.  Sometimes you meet really genuine folk.  Brothers and sisters in the Lord who love him and love his Word, who delight to fellowship and assist the saints and the community at large.  Who never expect anything in return but make you want to act in like manner and share that wonderful bond of Christian love. 
But sadly there are those, who like the Pharisees, make long, loud prayers and declarations on pious sounding subjects but whose hearts and actions reflect a judgemental and self righteous attitude ~ ah, rather like the selfish teenagers I mentioned above.

Life throws us many opportunities and many experiences.  We live and hopefully learn, to use more wisdom and discretion as we mature.  As I observe and process all that transpires around me I realise that I have so much further to go.  "Get wisdom! Get understanding!"

13 comments:

  1. The older I get the more I understand God Blessing Solomon for choosing wisdom above all else. Wish I'd been so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby,

    I am currently reading the book of Proverbs in my bible reading about gaining wisdom and understanding. This book of the bible makes it clear that to obtain these two concepts is very important.

    I am also learning that people are not always what they appear to be. Actually, I have been noticing that all my life. As I get older, however, this fact becomes more apparent. I suppose this is why the Lord tells us to rely upon him and not humans. This is easier said than done, of course.

    I'm glad to hear that your teenage children are learning responsiblity. That must mean you are doing "something right" as a Mother. This should put at least a little smile upon your face. :)

    Anyway, take care Dear Mother.

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. How gracious our Father is with His children. He is wonderful to give His wisdom liberally if we ask. I desire more of Him and less of me.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are allowing time for musing and reflecting during this time in your lives...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruby! I need to catch up on what's been happening around your place now that we've settled in a bit in our new house. After Brisbane flooded we didn't hear much about other parts of Qld on the news, so I have been wondering how you're a going. Sounds like you have a full house and are very busy. I'll try and pop in more often now that we have reliabe internet again. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've missed you Ruby. I hope the rains have settled down a bit. I've not been able to see or hear any news lately so I'm in the dark.

    The book of Proverbs is amazing. Our family are on our 3rd round of reading it. And each time we go through it we learn more and more. Our plan is to go through it 8 times which will take 8 months. Oh the blessings are numerous.

    blessings,
    tricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby,

    Even in the best of times and families(!) combining different households can be stressful. Glad to hear that things are on a fairly even keel at your home.

    My family of five have stayed with my parents twice, due to remodeling/repairs to our home that necessitated us being out. My parents are loving, generous, gracious and welcoming, but it still had it's trying moments. Praying for you all,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I have really been enjoying your writing over the last few months... I don't know if it that you seem to be sharing more of yourself or that your writing style has changed or maybe it is just me. Hehee. I dunno! but I feel richer for visiting your blog each time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, I don't know whether my style has changed at all but the quantity has dwindled which may be making me a little more careful? Not sure, but I know that I do not have the time or head space at the moment for drivelly travelog type posts. Sparing my dear readers it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wonderful reflection. No one is what they seem because of original sin. We aren't either. Thankfully with meditation on Scripture and His hand in our lives, prompting us, we can grow "in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." So glad you can make memories for kids and grandkids and that your sons are showing responsibility.
    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I hear you. The quantity on my blog has dropped almost out of existence! But that's ok. I often wonder what to write about nowadays because life has changed so much for me and I wonder if what I want to share is appropriate for the circles that I seem to be in. Maybe I need to venture out into the blogosphere and find me some new circles :)

    Ooooh, just noticed a bit of a theme here Ruby:
    Learning about me..
    Learning about them
    Learning about My Master

    Without putting on pressure, I'm eagerly awaiting your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good pick up Susan! I love it when someone gets my wavelength :-)
    Meanwhile, all I am learning this week is relaxation, good friends, good times, good coffee....and the odd other lesson :-)
    Ruby incognito

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, I'm glad it was a good week for you. It's always good to catch up with friends (IRL and ones we meet on the 'net) eat, drink coffee and share about the goodness of our God.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.