Friday, February 18, 2011

Learning about My Master

It is many years since I embraced, intellectually, the truth that God is sovereign over all things.  He created the heavens and the earth and all creatures great and small.  He is sovereign over our lives and our choices ~ yes, even over salvation itself.  Yet knowing this,  believing it and actually living as one who knows and believes it can be different things and not so easily done.  We foolishly  give ourselves some credit for our own salvation.  We sometimes whinge and complain about the Providences which God directs our way and yet his Word also tells us that he is working all things together for the good of his people.

As a young christian, I wrestled constantly with what I thought were good outcomes for a girl like me and what God seemed to be dealing up.  His grace is sufficient and he led and guided me through every dark valley. These were hard times and it took some time to even see light at the end of some of those tunnels. 

But God.....
in his mercy and unfailing love always showed me a better solution than my paltry prayers suggested and he always found a way to polish and buff at least some imperfections in me.  It is often only looking back that  we can see the more excellent way in which God has led us.  He gives beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;   And along the way, he strengthens and prepares us for each new trial and challenge we face on our pilgrimage to the Celestial City, when these earthly burdens will no longer beset us and we will never again wonder and question why.

Though I still struggle to face, endure and resolve the trials put before me, I can say "It is the Lord, Let him do what seemeth him good." with true conviction and assurance of his Divine supremacy.  I am able more and more to say "Thy will be done."  and accept the outcome.  I am learning to place the lives of my loved ones with greater trust and less anxiety in the hands of Him who sees and  knows all, whose end result is always the best result for his children.

In my current circumstances it is very tempting to take over the reins and make all the decisions....because I am uh um...older, wiser blah, blah, blah, yeah, right!.  But the fact is , my loved ones are adults who have to make their own decisions and who ultimately stand before God.

Still, I am praying for the discretion and dignity of a Titus 2 woman, the patience of .Job and the wisdom of Solomon.


(Carol,   good suggestion!  I already had this post set to post as I am away until 23rd so was on the wave length.).

Amidst all the frantic pace of life in our still overflowing (with children, laughter, food and mess) household, my boys and I are taking off for a week in the south.  Five days at the Gold Coast with our much missed friends (Dreamworld here we come!) and two days in Brisbane visiting in-laws and attending an eye appointment.
I will endeavour to catch you all up next week, DV.

8 comments:

  1. Loved your thoughts, sister. Our hearts seem to be beating in rhythm these days. We, too, are facing trials that can cause us only to acknowledge the Lord allowed them, so He will provide the grace and strength. Still praying for the dear people of Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the LORD is in charge. Excellent testimony, Ruby. May He bless you and your trip! Hope the eye appointment brings good news.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe and enjoyable trip, sounds like fun.

    And I enjoyed reading this blog every much, full of wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very insightful thoughts....
    Have a safe and happy trip, all the best with the appointment.
    Blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. "He is sovereign over our lives and our choices ~ yes, even over salvation itself."

    Just what I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss your posts Ruby. But as usual I loved this one. Be safe on your trip and enjoy each moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the more you share lately, the more I sense we are more in tune than I've thought before.

    Yes, our salvation- as though we could have any part in it! We can't turn our hearts toward the Lord lest He He do the softening, the turning, the calling. Even the fact that He draws us is grace- it's all grace. Grace upon grace.

    And older children? Aahh, I'm enjoying this stage of life certainly, but it also has its growing pains. I have to stop and breathe and realise where I am... sitting at His feet.

    have a good time on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say HI--haven't been here for a while. Nice thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.