Today is my oldest grandson's second birthday! Happy Birthday, my darling ♥
I trust I will have some pics to show after our get together tomorrow.
The State of the Nation
After more than two weeks waiting to hear the outcome of our election it was all a bit of a fizzer. :-(
We shall see how the new "paradigm" actually works in practice. Although I am not deeply into politics I am very conservative in my views. I am not at all happy to see an atheist leading our country and have grave doubts and fears for the stability of our nation. As christians we should continue to pray for those in authority and that God would be pleased to turn many hearts in this nation towards himself. Simple minded as it may sound, I feel able to leave the fate of this government and nation in God's capable hands and continue to pray "Come quickly, Lord Jesus".
I've actually chosen this as my "Word of the Week" as I have heard it over and over on radio and televison in the last few days:
par·a·digm (pr-dm, -dm)
n.
1. One that serves as a pattern or model.
2. A set or list of all the inflectional forms of a word or of one of its grammatical categories: the paradigm of an irregular verb.
3. A set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that constitutes a way of viewing reality for the community that shares them, especially in an intellectual discipline.
It's actually a pretty cool word if you are into the look and sound of words, and into crosswords perhaps! (Just gets a little wearing hearing it over and over and over again ~ clutching at straws me thinks!)
School
Officially we have one week left in Term 3. All our work returns are in and things are winding up for a two week break. My plan is to have a low key week concentrating on reading aloud and catching up some art and other projects rather than much in the way of book work.
Our wonderful "Rae" expects her baby over the holiday break so those very special and productive weekly sessions will come to an end, at least for the moment.
My sister has so enjoyed our weekly reading sessions and time with the boys (and a cuppa together) that she is continuing her visits even now that I am seeing quite well. She always visited regularly anyway, but this has also been very beneficial for all.
Any one have good read aloud suggestions for my 11 to 13 year old boys?
Loving your Neighbour
We've lived in this house for twelve years and have enjoyed great neighbours on all sides over those years. Often neighbours will ask us to look out for their places when they are away since we are a stay at home family with plenty of coming and going here all year round. Sadly, we had an "incident" this week. I am praying and pondering how best to deal with it and be a good witness to our neighbours at the same time. As with family conflict, it is sometimes harder to speak and resolve things with those near by than with those we meet only rarely. Trying hard to apply the biblical principles and be a peacemaker.
It is glorious weather here in CQ
with a forecast for rain.
Have a good weekend!



What are your boys interested in?
ReplyDeleteAre you looking for a novel to read to them?
There are so many wonderful books I'm not sure what to recommend.
I've just found the boys link in your categories so have answered some of my questions about what they like. Was going to Recommend my side of the mountain:) bit late you've already enjoyed that one.
ReplyDeletePerhaps
Roald Dahl, "Danny Champion of the World",
or an old series by Alfred Hitchcock "The Three Investigators"
or CSLewis' Narnia Series
Thanks Jackie,
ReplyDeleteYes, they really appreciated My Side of the Mountain recently and have previously read some Narnia. They love real boys' stories. I am sure they will love some Roald Dahl! Funnily, I used to work in a high school library where Dahl was very popular but I personally never took to him. I shouldn't let that stop me read it to my fellows though should I.
Thanks for visiting and commenting!
I share your concerns regarding the state of our nation. I am not convinced Mr Abbot was the right man for the top job but I do think the alternative was worse rather than better. We do just have to leave it in God's hands.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a relaxing last week of school and a great holiday.
Good luck with the neighbor thing. We have had some very difficult neighbours in the past and it's really hard to know how to deal with incidents and issues as they arise.
Happy birthday to your handsome grand love.
ReplyDeleteI second My Side of the Mountain. Very good book. My boys also loved the World History Stories from www.mainlesson.com and they are free to read online.
Read aloud sessions with your sister. What a wonderful thing to do. I'd have never thought about something like that. Of course, I don't have any sisters. But I'd like to pass that along to my girls. It seems to me that it could be a great idea in general.
ReplyDeleteI was more concerned with Mr Abbott's comments during the election "I have always made my decisions as a politician based on what I think are the ordinary, rational considerations that are open to people of all faiths or none." - therefore his beliefs don't come into his decisions - and that is coming from a man who says he is a Christian.
ReplyDeleteAt least I know where Ms Gillard is coming from. The fact is the labour party is moving towards the centre, so not that far removed from the liberals in many ways - that is why they struggle with sounding different during the election. What I am saying is neither party could be called conservative.
It is unlikely the current government will do anything radical. They will play it safe.
Boys Books: The Year of the Stranger - Allan Campbell McLean [or anything else by him] they are pretty exciting reads & a bit of Scots history thrown in. ☺
ReplyDeleteBig Red ~ Jim Kjelgaard
Flambards ~ K.M Peyton ~ technically I think they were girls books but some of these are about early flight in WWI & might be of interest. They weren't my pick of Peyton's books. I liked wicked Pen far better but probably shouldn't recommend him. lol
I may think of some more given enough time. I'll gret back to you if I do.
Ruby: we always seem to have politicians in government. Now, why would that be do you think? lol
Praying for your neighborhood today, Ruby.
ReplyDeleteWe have great neighbors also. Even though we live in the country and our home used to be a farm home, we do share a driveway with Roger and Shannon. Sometimes I go across that driveway with my morning coffee and chat with Shannon if she is up. I always bring them their Sunday paper and look out for their property when they are gone. Roger last month helped us by burning our trash pile. I pray that how I am handling our ongoing problem with my husband's illness will be a testimony to them.
Jo,
ReplyDeleteThat Abbott comment concerned me greatly too. If Christians don't make decisions based on their heartfelt beliefs they are not different. We do think both parties are becoming nearer in their stance on things and when I said my views are conservative, I meant I hold very traditional conservative views, not necessarily what are called the Consevative Party ! if you know what I mean.
Ganeida,
ReplyDeleteI think you have hit on the heart of the problem! Ganeida for PM. What think ye??
Happy Birthday to your Grandson and have a wonderful celebration.
ReplyDeleteRuby I'm so happy about your grandson's birthday with you and pray for God's blessing on him and his family. It's also always good to get news from you and how you are doing in my reader: I will pray about the situation with your neighbor -- I know those can be stressful and require much wisdom!
ReplyDeleteDon't ya just love politics? We have a mid-term election coming up in November. Elections are always interesting. :-)
ReplyDelete