Twenty five years ago, as a four year old, she sat beside me as flower girl on my wedding day. She behaved impeccably through the hour long service, the formal photographs and the wedding reception.
Gemma grew into a beautiful young woman. She professed her faith in Christ at about fourteen years of age. She spent a lot of time at our house and we at hers and we were all family friends. Gemma's mum was and is one of the most precious "Titus 2" women in my life and Gemma was like a big sister and mentor to my girls when they were small. She was the type of girl you trusted and loved to spend time with your children.
When Gemma was around nineteen she began to struggle in her faith. Her parents, family, christian friends and pastors all tried to help and encourage her. Myself included. We had no idea the depth of pain she was going through, but as Christians we knew the answer lay in the peace and forgiveness found only in the Lord Jesus. But Gemma broke her parents heart. She shocked all who knew her.
Gemma told us she had converted to the Muslim faith.
Our hearts break for our dear friends. Outwardly they cope so well and yet they find it all so hard. And for the precious, sweet children, so like Gemma as a little girl. Our hearts break that she who was taught so well and professed to know the Saviour has turned her back on him and claims she needs no mediator. That Allah is her god and that her works will one day earn her salvation.
I am grieving tonight, dear readers. May our great God be merciful!




What a story and hurt for all who know her. There is salvation in none other than Jesus Christ.
ReplyDeleteThat is a very sad story Ruby. No wonder your heart is heavy. But this woman has known the goodness of God and He is not willing for her to perish, so keep up hope that He will call her back to Himself once again and she will not be able to resist His call.
ReplyDeleteOn a slightly different track, I am concerned about the growing visibility of the muslim full-face veil. There was a debate about it on one of those ABC shows last night. While I fully appreciate the need for modesty in a woman, I don't understand the desire or the teaching to cover completely in that way. Muslim women were saying (in the debate) that they feel disconnected from society and the implication was because they are discriminated against due to their apparel. Personally I think it is very hard to connect in a friendly way with someone who won't show their face.
Ruby, I can't imagine what it must have been like to see a woman who was once a Christian now covering her completely as a muslim. It must have been heart breaking. You can only leave this is in the hands of the Lord God. We can't do anything ourselves.
ReplyDeleteI do have real problems with women who completely cover . I once spoke to a Turkish Islamic woman who told me that the Koran never tell women to completely cover at, just dress modestly. It appears that these women tend to be the more extreme than even many islamic women in countries such as in Iran who don't want to be covered. It's along the lines of being " more Italian than the Italians". I find it very difficult to connect with a person whom I can't see the face or eyes of, they almost become a blank- non person.
Ruby thinking of you tonight in my prayers.
Mum-me, I like to smile at people, but what do you do when you can't see their face. It makes me feel very sad. Women in Afghanistan didn't want to be covered during the period of the Taliban, but they were forced to by men, once the Taliban left, one of the first things they did was remove their coverings.
ReplyDeleteYes, we felt totally disconnected. As mentioned in the post, only tiny slits showed where her eyes were and her garb was voluminous and totally shapeless. Of course they become aloof and unapproachable because it is difficult to communicate with someone whose face and expression you cannot see. I know that this is a dear, sweet person with a beautiful personality that I can no longer reach :-)
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your prayers.
Oh Ruby! How heartbreaking. I don't understand it at all. How can one become so deceived?! I can feel your heavy heart my friend. I am so saddened and shocked by this.
ReplyDeleteIs her husband muslim? If not, how does he feel about this?
May the Lord reach into the depths of her heart and connect with her once again... to know Him is to love Him.
Yes, her husband was a nominal JW when they were courting and they "converted" to Islam together. :-( He wears the tunic style muslim mens' attire which is much easier to cope with than the burka.
ReplyDelete(That should have been a sad face in my comment above as well)
Ruby: Our gracious Lord & saviour will never stop calling your friend's name nor reminding her of the things she once knew. Nothing is hopeless with Him. Prayers for you all.
ReplyDeleteRuby, crying and praying with you. I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteOur hope is indeed in a great and merciful God.
I am so saddened to hear about your friend. She is in a terrible spot. At this point, I'm sure she would risk losing her family (husband and children) if she were to turn back to Jesus, so it makes it that much more difficult to reach her.
ReplyDeleteRuby this must greatly sadden your heart and those that love her dearly only God can bring the right answers in the way.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers and thoughts are with you tonight.
What a sad story. I'm so sorry it isn't a fairy tale. When you called her Gemma you got my attention!! Vance Jr.'s little one is Gemma!! How many times do you hear that? Anyway, Ruby, I"m very sorry. Truly this is a tragedy to have to deal with. Oh, the hearts of her parents must ache. Thanks for sharing this. As in the case with your Gemma, we are all vulnerable and need always to stayed focused on our Saviour Jesus Christ.
ReplyDeleteTricia,
ReplyDeleteI love that name and know a few of them. This "Gemma" shares my real name. When she was small many called us Big ......and little .......
I thought Gemma went well with Ruby, sort of jewels names :-)
I pray that God will have mercy on her before it's to late.
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby, Thanks for asking. He is scheduled for surgery this coming Tuesday. I think I will post about it on Monday or so to gently remind all the prayer warriors out there!! I am getting so nervous here. To think of stopping an infant's heart from beating just doesn't sit well with me.
ReplyDeleteOh Ruby, how tragic.
ReplyDeleteBut as many have already said, God holds all things in His hands. And calls us to pray.
Praying for you also, for comfort.
Julie
That is so very sad. : (
ReplyDelete:-( may Jesus draw her back to His light!!
ReplyDeleteDon't know how to comment briefly on this post.
ReplyDeleteWill come back after some thinking. It certainly has me doing that...