The disappointing news is that this very helpful and supportive teacher who has been the supervisor in our district for the past three years, is no longer with us :- ( Since he is taking on extra duties in the Groves Day School, he has to drop this area. I am sure our new teacher will be great but we will miss Mr B. very much.
I read a little about Skwirk on the Aussie Homeschool forum and have found out we can access it through the school. I would be interested if any of my readers have used this resource and how you used it to compliment school. One of the difficulties that I have is neither of my boys is working at their "age level". The Skwirk site looks good and interesting but it may take a little bit of shuffling around for folks like us as the lessons are in Grade Levels according to the National Curriculum.
Sometimes I feel so old! And perhaps I've been home schooling too long. Everything is changing. I still firmly believe in the principle of line upon line, and focusing on the basics, moving at the students own pace etc. It just seems that so many great things might be passing me by.
The Speech Pathologist was very pleased with the boys progress at the end of last year and basically told me to continue on as we have been, that she couldn't do much more with them. Oddly, or maybe not, they both progressed in reading in 2011 more noticably than ever before and we did very little formal school in comparison. I think with all learning difficulties, time is the major factor and sadly one we don't always feel we have. While we will still be using a learning support designed curriculum this year, I can see that, particularly with my younger son, he is getting closer to a mainstream level.
My older son is keen to finish at the end of this year. It is a hard slog for him, but he has enjoyed a few hours work over the holiday break and is becoming more keen to go to TAFE perhaps do some pre - apprenticeship type course. We are encouraging him to look at work which will one day provide for a wife and family, if necessary. It is hard at fourteen to look beyond pocketmoney and a few Maccas meals . :-)
Isaiah 28:10
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Ugh. Not there yet. We are going away at the end of the week & I am not thinking about school until we get back. It will be more of the same for Star & this is her last year ~ & she is not keen to go on to anything like TAFE or uni. She's had enough.
ReplyDeleteHahahaa, I am so with you here Rulie! I too, am just getting old or have homeschooled too long. It's all zipping by at an incredible speed and I can barely keep up.
ReplyDeleteI bumped up those posts from Skwirk last night bcz I am looking at it for one of my sons, who may go to school next year. I'd rather use CEM online but I don't think that's going to work.
So I'll patch curriculum together, based on what he needs and utilising Skwirk.
Like you I'm praying for patience, wisdom and strength. I'll pray that God gives those to you.
I pray the Lord will continue to give you that wisdom and guidance. And that your school year will be successful.
ReplyDeletePraise God that He graciously gives us His wisdom as we seek Him for it. Believing with you for a wonderful year. xxx
ReplyDeleteHey Ruby! I have also started getting organised for the year, which is both exciting a little daunting. :) I had a few plans of my own, but interestingly have felt to refocus and tweak those plans since praying about them. So pleased that your boys made some great progress last year. Funny how it does seem to happen at their own pace, in their own time. Have a great Friday, Mel xx
ReplyDeleteI have always tried to work at my children's pace and believe strongly in line upon line, precept upon precept. I also like the 'slow and steady get me ready' approach too but do need to give my boy a bit of a push this year. Did you happen to see the documentary on ABC last evening 'Gareth Malone's Extraordinary School for Boys'? I just loved his approach to engaging boys and getting them interested in reading and even thinking of adapting some of his ideas here. I've just ordered some books which are more boy orientated for my son. I might do a post about these soon - they are old books I had not heard of before but sound like my son will just love them - adventure, survival, living in the woods etc. All the very best for your new year.
ReplyDelete