Like most people, I have found the beginning of a new year a good time to assess and re-evaluate some of my goals and priorities. With the long illness I experienced in mid 2011, I had become very listless and unenthusiastic for many of my usual activities.
My commitment for 2012 is
"But Godliness with contentment is great gain."
1 Timothy 6:6
I have had to accept that it is not throwing the towel in, but rather being realistic about
what I am now able to do ... or not.
To be contented with limitations, I think can be equally as challenging as taking on big things.
What are your goals and plans for this sparkling new year?
Some of the things I am hoping for are:
A fresh outlook and more organised school day for my boys.
The chaos and many changes in our lives in the past year have been difficult to fit school around.
Good things have come of that but I do desire to make this year "better" in this department.
Return to daily quiet time.
While we have managed to keep some family worship and church routines going, it has suffered :- ( Our household is quite different now and it is challenging to be regular in reading of the Word and prayer. Many Lord's Days have passed where either I have been too ill to attend, or some other chaos has interupted our day of rest. We want to make it a priority to reclaim these important things. It is good and necessary for us but also very important for the younger members of the family to develop good habits. My own spiritual life has suffered I know :-( so I have taken on a devotional book for the year called Day by Day in Prayer. I hope to improve my own prayers and prayer life and do not feel up to long reading plans etc at present. Thus far I have gleaned much from these short thoughtful passages.
I may not be able to attend every church or home schooling function but it should not stop me from drawing closer to God. Excuses....excuses.
Diet and Exercise
Yes, both those :-)
The one big event
2012 is the long awaited year of our Family Reunion!
This is the 100 years anniversary of my paternal grandfather drawing his block in the Callide Valley.
It is very exciting for us especially as these days most family operations have been overtaken by big companies. Two of my brothers and a cousins who now hold the properties will be hosting the event and quite a few of us locals are helping with plans.
I am so hyped! I love family history. You may remember we had a reunion on my mother's
side in 2009. We are so blessed to still have both Mum and Dad. Lord willing, my father
will make it to the reunion of his family, as well.
will make it to the reunion of his family, as well.
Linking to my Golden Childhood posts to remind you what this is all about.
"But Godliness with contentment is great gain"

Happy New Year, my good friend. Your verse is a lovely one.
ReplyDeleteMy goals include weight loss through Weight Watchers and prayer. Yesterday I wrote a prayer for you and plan to pray earnestly for you every Friday. Here it is: "Praying for Ruby's health and household and homeschooling." Today I am adding prayer for wisdom for you with priorities, having an "Organized Heart" from the book by the same title that I reviewed on my blog.
ReplyDeleteHugs and prayers,
Carol
Ruby, I pray you will know God's presence and help in each of these areas; and can rest your heart in His unfailing accomplishment of all His own 'resolutions' concerning us. I always enjoy reading what wiser womens' goals are as it helps me in trying to formulate my own :-). I will have to keep an eye out for that devotional: my mom loves 'Streams in the Desert'. Love dearly in our Lord.
ReplyDeleteYes, I understand a chaotic household creating chaotic spirituality. We struggle in this area also. [Hence the fast ☺]. This will be our last hear homeschooling so hoping for a good one!.
ReplyDeletePraying for you & your loved ones constantly. Blessings my friend.
How wonderful to be having a 100th family reunion...that is exciting! I love that verse, to always be content where the Lord has us. Praise God for another year, that we are alive and that we know Him, how awesome to be living at such a time as this! xxx
ReplyDeleteThanks, you are all an encouragement to me and your prayers much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteHeidi, a friend loaned me this book years ago. A permanent loan :-) I find it interesting and edifying but you and I both have a number of differences in opinion on some matters :-) It is not a "classic" and is written by a number of authors. A Precious Seed publication
Sweet Ruby,
ReplyDeleteI love your verse for the year. I found the sweetest magnet the other day with a lovely design and the words "B Content." It's been a great reminder every time I look at the fridge, which is a lot. :)
May you know much contentment and joy from the LORD this year!
Happy New Year to you Ruby. xo
ReplyDelete2011 was a year of lesson on prayer for me due to various circumstances and happenings. I look forward to any thoughts you share from your own devotions. :)