Monday, December 5, 2011

(One of) The Best Days of the Year!

The final day of school!!

Happily for my  zealous , enthusiastic,  somewhat  reluctant students, our Breakup Day was brought forward from Friday to Wednesday.  Since I, and they, would find it very difficult to work after the big break up party we are calling it quits for 2011.  Despite my frequent whingy mentions of lack of work accomplished and failure to motive blah, blah, blah we have finished off quite nicely.  The boys and I have even done a little bit of clearing and dumping (groan) in our school room.  It has been a very tiring year, and full of ups and downs so we are hoping to have a good rest plus some major clean up days over the break.
~ A girl can dream ~

In 2012, Lord willing, my youngest will begin his high school years and we, our twentieth year in home education. Phew, it is a marathon isn't it!  So, dare I toss out even more accumulated stuff? Most homeschoolers I know have nearly as many books as the local library and I was heading that way until the major haul out which I posted about here, back in 2009. Since then I have restrained myself from buying except what has been essential to their work and we've utilized the library a lot more.  It is a practical matter for me.  Much as I love books and the wonders they hold, I do not have a skerrick of storage space, my homeschooling days are drawing to a close, my children are not the voracious readers that hubby and I were, and ..........  well, I do not want to leave this job until I am gone and it is lumped on the family.

Breaking up Day has such golden memories for me as a child.  What special traditions did you have for that occasion?  Watermelon, novelty races, plums and apricots in our goodies bags.  I just don't know that kids these days are so excited about fruit for a treat.  I may be wrong?  It was always hot but everyone, parents, students , teachers and towns folk all came to the Break up day festivities, in the good 'ol days!

As a group our families have tried many different type of end of year events.  You may remember the tour of the local caves in 2008 and the sand castle competition at the beach in '09.  Some years we've organised treasure hunts, done the old fashioned egg and spoon and three legged races and played lots of cricket.

This year it is a little simpler.  We are meeting at the pool and the children will have some inflatables and lots of friends to laugh away the special day.  I'm glad that is a relaxed, non organised, sort of event :-) I am looking forward to catching up with friends who I seem to have missed over this past busy year.
GS 5 begins his education!

9 comments:

  1. Oh what a breath of fresh air. A school break! I hope you enjoy every moment of it.

    take care,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your break! 20 + years of homeschooling? WOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo hoo...how wonderful to be going on holidays. We finish up this week..phew! 20 years, that's incredible, I take my hat off to you! Hoping you have a much needed rest. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you're done for the year! For you. I know what a battle reluctant learners can make the school term! lol Have a nice break. Gird your loins for next year's fray. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homeschooling is absolutely amazing, my hat goes off to you. it was enough just keeping up with sending children to school.

    Have a wonderful, happy break.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 20 years of teaching - what a great record. You'll have to celebrate that anniversary in an amazing way. Hope you have a fantastic break up party and enjoy a relaxing holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine all the collections of home schooling material over twenty years. I have been trying to get a handle on downsizing our home and we have gotten rid of a lot of books. This is work--real work--getting rid of things. Are there networks in Australia where you can sell/pass on some of your material?

    Have a good December, Ruby.

    Hugs and prayers for your health,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Breakup Day the Last Day of school for the year? Sounds wonderful. We never celebrated at all in the states, but I wish we would have!
    mommamindy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, I have passed or sold anything which I think will be of use to other mothers. Have some gorgeous little paper dolls which you dress in national costumes to give to a friend with lots of little girls.

    Mindy, we do make a bit of a fuss here on Break up day in the schools so I guess our Homeschoolgroup are carrying that over from the happy memories of childhood!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.