Friday, November 11, 2011

We will not forget....

"They will  grow not old,
as we who are left grow old........"





This Remembrance Day, we remember and honour not only those who gave their lives that we might live, those who age did not weary, nor the world condemn, but I am also mindful of the many who returned and built our nation through hard work, commitment, loyalty to God and country. The ones who did grow old.

Since last year's Remembrance Day the two remaining veterans of our family have passed away. Only at his funeral last week did I learn of one uncle's wounding and gallantry medal.  These were men who did their duty and came home keeping much of the memories they held to themselves.  Though he was military in his running of "the ship" this man was one of the most loving, affectionate and communicative of his gender that I have had the privilege to know.  He was my mother's brother.

My father has also lost a brother this last year.  (Both men were ninety.)  This uncle was the family historian and he has passed really valuable information and photographs to me as one who wishes to take up this mantle.

Though I am proud to have these men as my ancestors along with my beloved grandfather who fought in the Great War, I am also thankful to God that I do not have loved ones who were involved in later conflicts, nor any of the young folk in our family currently serving in conflicts.  I pray for the three who are training with the Navy at this time.  God Bless them and Australia.

Lest we Forget







3 comments:

  1. Amen nice post...thanks for sharing and visiting me...God bless you friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartfelt post Ruby! Thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such sweet words of honor, Ruby. I just love how you're making sure generations to come know about their family.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.