Friday, April 19, 2013

Half Mast



In a small country town in Central Queensland, the flag at the War Memorial flew at half mast last weekend. It signalled to the townsfolk that one of their own had passed away.




Last Friday, my much loved father left this world. 
May he rest in peace.

It has been a very tiring and emotional week,yet because Dad was 88 years old and had lived an eventful and productive life, it was a wonderful time of reminiscing and celebrating his life.  The greatest legacy that he and my mum have left is our large family. Seven living children, 21 living grand children and 28 great grand children (so far). These plus spouses and Dad's living siblings filled the front half of the church!

Dad was a quiet, unassuming man but I think he would have been quite chuffed at the hundreds of relatives and friends who turned out to farewell him.

Long time readers here know my great love and admiration for my parents. I can only say that I miss him terribly and it will take some time to adjust to life without him.  He and Mum were married for 62 years.  She is coping well but the reality will set in now that the family have all gone home.



"It's not what you take with you when you leave this world behind,
it's what you leave behind when you go."

♥♥♥

8 comments:

  1. Oh Ruby, many prayers. May the Lord comfort you and take you up in a special way. Love and tears, precious friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand. I lost my dad a few years back. The Lord gave me Psalm 68:5 to comfort me. My bible literally fell open to this page & my eyes rested on this verse. May He uphold you & bless you & give you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grieving with you, Ruby, and praying for you all.

    Love,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your loss, what a blessed legacy your Dad certainly left on earth that is passed on to you all. As you know Jesus never leaves you or forsakes you and is the lifter of your head. Love to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sad to hear you news, may God give you the strength you need at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He sounds like a wonderful man. I'm so sorry for your loss, Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. been doing a real quick catch up on your blog as I've been away for a few months! so so sorry to read this, I didn't know:( hubby lost his dad recently (as you know from FB), it's so hard! hugs to you dear friend. will be praying for you and your family. xo

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.