Monday, October 1, 2012

One Hundred Years of Farm & Family #2

Please see the previous post for #1

From my brother's house and the main location of eating, drinking and
reminiscing, we made the short trek over to the original homestead site.
This is now owned by one of my cousins and formally his parents.
 My grandfather had named his property "Ashgrove" probably because
a large cluster of Moreton Bay Ash grew around where the hut, and later
their home for many years, was built.
Over the years the old place was demolished, some of the trees
had died and others were cleared.
This is where the idea of planting a memorial grove came from.


Dad seated between his sister and brother listen to their sister
give a short history of the site.




My cousin, now one of the land owners at Jooro reminisced of our grandparents.
She also read her poem


As these two cousins unveiled the memorial plaque.


The verses are engraved along with pictures of our
grandparents, their family and the house.
(Try clicking to enlarge)

Friends, relatives and other neighbours watch on from the shade

as we proceed to plant the fifteen trees.
These trees represent the original family, the present owners and also two
"Guarding Gums" as mentioned in the poem.


My two younger brothers plant the tree for our Dad.

My older brother helps Dad in the planting of the tree for Michael.
His father and our grandfather.

My cousin Jenny & I plant a tree for Norah.
She was Grandma & Grandad's fifth child and first daughter.
She was still born in June, 1927
Jenny's daughter was still born in 2003
and our son died at 8 days of age.
We felt very privileged to honour our Aunt this way
knowing that our Grandmother grieved her all her life.

My Dad flanked by his descendants at the Reunion.
(About 20 were unable to attend.!)
I was thrilled that my four children, my son-in-law and
my six grandchildren were all there for this
big family event.
They are on the far left of this photo.

To be continued......

3 comments:

  1. How sweet. This has been a wonderful time for your family, and I've loved listening to you plan for it, and now to see how it all came together for you.
    Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to see what else you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! So lovely to see these pictures of your special family time. What a lot of work must have gone into the planning of it! It is so awesome to see a family getting together to celebrate its history. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you celebrated the joys and sorrows of your family. It is amazing that you all get together. I have cousins I haven't seen in decades, we don't have family reunions and I barely knew my grandparents. It has always made me feel a little lonely. Your heritage is such a blessing and I'm thankful you know that and appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.