Tuesday, July 17, 2012

On turning 50....


It is some months until the big '50' birthday for me but celebrations have already begun.  A couple of years ago when my Senior class held our last reunion it was decided to meet again this year.  The year most of our class mates would turn fifty.  As it turned out it was just a small group but we had such a great catch up I think we will try for more regular reunions, even when not so many can come.  As I live in the city where I attended high school I have the advantage that so far, they have always been held here.

We were boarders, about twenty of us in a Senior class of ninety.  Some of the girls who boarded during our years also attend. There are strong bonds made between girls who have lived, laughed and studied together during their formative years.  We did laugh about some of our childish escapades!

Some of the girls hated boarding school and remember dreadful things which I do not.  I was very homesick and life was strict and very regimented in a Roman Catholic boarding school in the 1970's, but I have mostly good memories of those years.  I go to that same place every time I visit my parents and I have none of the bad dreams and unresolved issues that some of the girls expressed.

We met for morning tea and lunch, lingering through the after noon and having dinner together in a nice Asian place on the river.





I thank God, that as a believer I seem to have a capacity to forgive which others perhaps struggle with.  Still, there seems little to forgive in my memories.  I have been asked whether bad school experiences are the reason for my choosing to home school but I can truly say that both my country primary school and city boarding school experiences were good and wholesome ones.


Some say that your school days are the best days of your life, but I reckon that the best is yet to come!  I have five more months to enjoy the roaring forties!

4 comments:

  1. love your attitude to turning 50 Ruby!
    what a blessing to be able to have a reunion.
    Sadly I moved countries so have not been to any reunions.
    Also, love the pic of you with your sisters:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a 68 year old, I say there is a lot of good beyond 50! Enjoyed this post and your reflection.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful reflection on your life here and I also love your optimistic approach to turning 50. When is the big day? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two delicious posts. Yummy. I'm glad you have nice memories of your schooldays.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my place. Please use gracious speech when commenting. I do not mind if you disagree with me or correct error, but I won't be entering into any debates here.