We've been reading aloud "My Side of the Mountain". Americans may be more familiar with it as it is set in the Catskill Mountains in New York State. It was recommended as a good, adventurous type boys book, and although it is a little improbable, we are loving it!
Set in the 50's, when perhaps boys may have been left school and looking for work and so not so obvious when they ran away, it tells the (fictitious) story of Sam Gribly.It never states his actual age but he seems about fifteen. Sam runs away from his family and life in New York to the Catskill mountains where his Grandfather had once had a farm.
Sam has researched many skills to survive in the wilderness and even clothes himself, trains a falcon and endures the bitter winter in his tree home.
He meets some interesting characters, both human and animal.
For children who love to imagine and love the great outdoors, this is a fascinating book. I was initially concerned about the running away aspect but it is not a book about rebellion and the boys and I have all enjoyed it.
ANOTHER WORKSHOP
I have blogged about workshops which the teachers from Groves run periodically, before. This week we really enjoyed the day which was attended by families which home school through the Groves Distance Ed school and a few other families. I love the way Groves always has an open invitation to other folk for these days.
The Highschoolers had a session with the Careers Advisor from the school which was helpful for those who are looking to undertake school based Work Experience & Traineeships and those who are hoping to enter University.
The Upper Primary aged students did an interesting Engineering project constructing bridges. Pictured above is the suspension bridge which my younger son's group made. They did a great job and the bridge actually balanced and stayed up beautifully!
The teacher for our district, who is actually a high school English teacher, ran a session of Creative Writing. As you know, my boys struggle in the reading and writing area. We handled this well by making me the supervising mother of a group of the boys. Phew! Two boys are a handful ~ five are a headache! Actually, we had a lot of laughs. The teacher went through the four parts of a story and gave the setting. Each child had to write an introduction, then pass it around to the next student who wrote the complication, and so on the resolution and conclusion.
Oh, can you imagine what these guys came up with?
Teacher had the kids choose one end result to read out and of course the lads chose the funniest, goriest of our bunch. They were indignant that Mr B altered it a little when he read it out but it was very funny and the rest of the room really enjoyed his little prank of these boys.
CHOIR
It has been another busy week. Rainy and unseasonally cold at night.
Our home school group began practicing choir for the upcoming concert. I am amazed (as a non musical person) how these talented Mums can pull together such good items. My boys are part of a humorous choir piece called "Chiquita Banana". This is something else American readers may be more familiar with it as apparently it was an ad over there. I had never heard it before.
Stay tuned for that. I will try to record it on the big day in October.
AND IN OTHER NEWS
I head to Brisbane again on Tuesday to have my eye checked and a re-assessment done. Lord willing, all is well and the left eye will be operated on in the near future.
I am planning to meet up with a bloggy friend that day too, which is very exciting!
My head is spinning with the excitement of planning a trip for the end of the year.
God is so good to answer our prayers and give us gifts more abundant than we can ever ask or think.
Have a great weekend!



Rejoicing with you today! Yes God is good!
ReplyDeleteYour post is full of life Ruby. I pray you doctor visit will go well.
ReplyDeleteWe love that book you are reading. We listened to it on cd last year. Wonderful.
Oh, I love My Side of the Mountain. Star read that a couple of years back & liked it better than she thought she would then we wetn bushwalking soon after & she saw a hollowed out tree that was big enough to have made a home like Sam's in & it all came so alive for her!
ReplyDeleteMust e~mail you but all's looking good! ☺ I am so excited. ☺
I also prayer that your visit to the eye doctor goes well. Never heard of the book you mentioned, sadly my sons are too old to read it, but I am sure they would have enjoyed it when they were younger. Tristan always liked a good adventure book.
ReplyDeleteRuby, Groves is good! We were enrolled with them for the year that we homeschooled. I had no complaints!
ReplyDeleteHave fun catching up with our bloggy friend... I would jump at the chance too, if I were going to Brisbane. As it is my hometown, you never know when I may be there.
You have me curious... what is the end of year trip you are planning? Oh I do LOVE trips!!! They are amongst my favourite things lol.
Praying all goes well with your 'eye' trip!