
Ah... Abigail! Her name evokes a picture of wisdom, humility and kindness. Lord, for the wisdom and faith of Abigail, who recognized your anointed king and risked her own life for the sake of her foolish husband and the lives of their household.
In a day and age where submission is a dirty word in most circles, it can be difficult for christian women to buck the system and live godly, biblical lives. We see Abigail was not the door mat which christian women are sometimes portrayed as. She was willing to obey God rather than men. She was discreet and wise in dealing with Nabal. (God dealt with him in his own way and time.) What a wonderful example to us is this woman of scripture!
I love our fortnightly Tuesday afternoon meetings. I feel truly blessed to be given my dear sisters, who love the Lord. We love, encourage, sharpen one another.
"Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." Proverbs 31 :30
Good Morning Ruby! Good post, thank you for sharing! xxx
ReplyDeleteWonderful biblical example. Glad you have that ladies group. Our group has scheduling problems now and I miss it.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for reminding us (me) of Abigail. I feel a bible study coming on for the girls.
ReplyDeleteHi Ruby,
ReplyDeleteI love Bible study, and Abigail is one that I would love to study in a study group.
Have a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Jillian
Abigail is definitely a beautiful Christian lady, and a pattern of submission and wisdom -- as you say, may God give us her faith that could know, and act in appropriate submission to, the Lord's anointed in every sphere.
ReplyDeleteRuby, I appreciated the point that "she recognized your annointed king." I just heard Abigail mentioned as a reason women DIDN'T have to subtmit to their husbands. She claims if our husbands are being foolish,then we don't have to submit. Then, it makes a woman's entire responsibility to evaulate everything her husband says against her own "wisdom" to decide if she wants to submit.
ReplyDeleteAbigail had a much bigger picture than this, her husband was going to bring harm to the Lord's annointed. If we are going to take this example to heart, then we would only NOT submit if our husband is doing something that would harm the Lord Jesus Christ.
Your post was so timely, thanks for sharing!
Thanks Mindy,
ReplyDeleteYes, that was the gist I was trying to make. It is not easy these days to be submissive but we are not doormats ie. there is a time, as you said, when sin is involved, where we should choose to serve God first. I hope I didn't sound as though I was saying, she was wise because she went around her husband, rather because she sort to do what was right and save his skin.
My little niece is named Abigail after her Biblical counterpart :-)
ReplyDelete